Lowel Rifa EX question

So I'm going to be traveling very soon for a doc and I need to put a lighting package together that is :

1- portable and quick

2- switchable between 3200 and 5600

3- switchable between soft and hard

4- switchable between 120w and 230w

other specs: crew of 3 max, sony ex-3 or panasonic hpx-170, some tough locations like deserts etc. , there could be instances when I'm all by myself so the portability is a key

that's why i'm leaning towards Rifa66 ex (the ones that has a switchable fluro head)...I own an older 66 and am quite happy but I've never used the fluro heads...

now look at a spec sheet from Lowel's site:

For Rifa eX 66 - Maximum 750w

LampCode Volt watt K FC 5' FC 10'

E1-27 120 27 5500 20 (217) 6 (60)

E1-27E 230 25 5500 20 (217) 6 (60)

X1-65 120 65 5500 67 (722) 18 (196)

from this you see that I get 67 foot candles if I go with the X1 which is a 120 volt bulb...if I take some E1-27E bulbs to middle east then they'll only give me 20 foot candles (more than a 1/3 drop!!)

Question 1: should I take the X1 bulbs and use voltage convertors instead of switching bulbs to that of 230 volts?

Question 2: I can't get my hands on these new versions of Rifas unless I order them...has anyone used the Fluro heads? how are they...can you compare they're punch to a 4bank 2 feet kino?

Question 3: Is Rifa my best choice? or should I look elsewhere?

really appreciate your time...

I own a Rifa88 with the Flouro 3 light adapter with three x1-65s, and I can definitely vouch for it. It's an excellent fixture, easier and quicker to set up than a fresnel+chimera, and lighter as well. And the x1-65's have a CRI of <95, and put out a great quality of light, with minimal green spike and not too blue looking. They match very closely with my Kino t12 tubes.

I'd recommend purchasing this kit.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5722...nge_Module.html

I'd compare the output of my Rifa88 with 3 65watt CFLs to the output of a 2' 4Bank KinoFlo. There is a photometric table with exact foot candle readings in 2 foot increments from the instrument but you'll have to look that up. It ships with the lights.

Hey man,

Just looked up the readings.

The Rifa88 with three x1-65 lamps puts out 35 footcandles at 5 feet, whereas a Kino 2' 4Bank puts out 65 footcandles at 4 feet. I know it's not equivalent feet wise, but the output looks the same to me. :P

Thanks guys, I still really like to know how to handle this in a 230 volt country, meaning wether I should get the 230v bulbs ( with much lower foot candle ) or use the 120v bulbs and carry a 230 to 120 convertor? any ideas? pros and cons?