Single Field export?

Daniel Smith

Hi.

I exported some interlaced footage out as single field, as opposed to upper or lower first.

What I wondered was, does this display both fields together at the same time, so effectively converting interlaced to progressive scan?

I know you get the jagged lines where the fields don't match, but I prefer that to de-interlacing and losing half the resolution.

tnx.

Dan.

Check carefully because probably you discarted one field cutting your vertical resolution.

Converting to progressive ideally implies that each field will becomes its own frame but because a field is only half the scanlines of a full frame some type of interpolation must be introduced to "re-create" the missing lines. Various methods are used to accomplish this, from line-doubling to more sophisticated motion-adaptive.

In any case you can do some type of deinterlacing through field combination or field extension.

With field combination or weaving you add each field and work better with static images (any change between field will create artifacts). This method preserves some vertical resolution. Blending (another form) will average each field as one frame and here you lose vertical resolution making your images look soft. Sophisticated equipment combine these methods with other technologies for better results.

Remember that interlaced and progressive are captured differently.

• 2 weeks later...

lol, how the hell do you export a single field? I imagine that would look strange.

you probably just let your editor deinterlace it and made your footage look like crap. If you want to deinterlace it, use virtual dub or an avisynth script.