How can I get this 'bending images' focus look.

I've been watching all these old Matt Mahurin music videos, and I'm wondering if anyone knows how he get's the image bending/ shifting soft focus effect in them.

Any thoughts? Looking to create a similar look in camera using HD for upcoming music videos.

Most popular that uses this look is Metallica's Unforgiven, but it also pops up in these, and almost every video of his I've ever seen.

Bush- Everything Zen -

Alice In Chains- No Excuses http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oz8ctHV3nwA

Black Crows- She Talks to Angles

Sweet, thanks. So I think all I'd really need to do to emulate this look for a low budg music video in HD is use a lensbaby adapter on a redrocks mount on my panasonic Hvx. Anyone out there that's tried this and had any level of success? Any unforeseen problems?

• Premium Member
So I think all I'd really need to do to emulate this look for a low budg music video in HD is use a lensbaby adapter on a redrocks mount on my panasonic Hvx.

The lensbaby isn't really a tilt-shift lens. It's a focused spot for lack of a better term than you can move around the frame, and focus falls off in all directions from the spot. Although it won't be quite the effect in these examples, the image does tend to blur and bend at the edges of the frame, so it might give you an effect that you like.