EX3 and Canon YH13 zoom lens

Nigel Smith

I only recently realised that our old UVW100P cameras used 1/2 inch CCDs, not 2/3 inch.

since I'm weighing up the pros and cons of buying a couple of EX3s, I wondered if the lenses from the betacams - Canon YH13 x 7.5KRS 7.5-97.5mm F1.4 - would work ok with the EX3.

Would I need to get adapters?

Any advice or info appreciated.

The EX3 lens mount is proprietary, but it comes with a 1/2" Sony Bayonet Mount adapter. The adapter works with current 1/2" lenses used with the Sony F3** series such as Fujinon and Canon. It may well work with your Canon lens, if that lens is a Sony 1/2" Bayonet Mount. But do bear in mind it's an older lens, and SD at that.

The EX3 native lens is pretty good for it's price, and sharp enough to resolve over 1000 lines under good conditions. It may well be better than your old SD lenses.

• Premium Member

If it's a B4 mount instead of the Sony 1/2" bayonet there is also an adapter available for those too, although it's pricey. Fujinon makes it I believe.

David's point about it being an SD lens is worth considering. SD glass, especially older SD glass, can look pretty soft on the EX3.