Sunset Gel Packs

Personally I like using Tungsten units on my sunset scenes. I don't really like the look of HMI's with full CTO - I find tungsten is a really nice look. Just watch your light levels on the foreground and background as the amount of light will change drastically as the sun is setting. You will constantly have to adjust your stop and scrim down your lights to match the ambience at that time of day

• 3 weeks later...
Hi all,

Any good ideas for sunset gel packs. Combos that you use on units? Do you mix lighting units with various gel combos?

Thanks,

Tim

I just had a shoot that the last hour or two of the day had to match a somewhat sunset scene...

I agree with Chris...use Tungsten if you have total control, but in my case...the ambient was way too cool at the start of the shot....

the background was a line of cliffs a mile away and was going to dictate the color balance on the lamp.

I used an 18k clean and then added CTO as the cliff line warmed up as the sun went down.....I was able to shoot after the sun dropped as the cliffs were higher and caught the sun longer....they also warmed up quite a bit....

In the end, in post they (the director, colorist, whoever..) desat'd the whole thing anyway.

Eric