Good schools to learn Cinematography ?

Hey everybody,

I would really appreciate your advise on good filmschools/universities that focus on cinematography.

I already have a bachelor in Journalism Studies and I did an intensive course of Filmmaking and Acting at the New York Film Academy in Los Angeles, but it's always cinematography that i love to do, so please tell me how you enrolled in cinematography.

I've seen a Masterprogram in Cinematography at UCLA, but it takes 4(!) years ! And also an extreme amount of money. (I'm from Europe, so I might not get a proper scholarship for these schools)

Or maybe there is another way than filmschool that got you into cinematography? I googled all my favorite directors and a lot of them actually never went to filmschool. rolleyes.gif

So please give me some advice. I'm open to schools everywhere around the globe! (Of course i like the US and the UK or Italy better than let's say Japan wink.gif )

Thank you!

First, please change your forums name to your full name, as required by the rules here :)

I went to Columbia College Chicago, and I think it has a pretty excellent cinematography program. It's very intensive, and it took me 3 years to get through even though I had all of my general education credits done at that point. I really felt like I got a pretty thorough education, I shot a good amount of stuff, and I had classes with a great bunch of kids who were really serious and dedicated, and a lot of them are out here in LA working right now. It's worth checking out.

• Premium Member

I went to RIT in Rochester, NY and feel that I got as good a primer on cinematography as one can before going and starting to work around professionals. I especially had a great chance to shoot a lot of films and a lot of them on film with freebies from Kodak, which is just down the road. I shot 43 short films of verying lengths, subjects, complexities, etc. in 4 years there and a little more than half were S16 on film. About 2/3 of those received some sort of free materials or service from Kodak be it filmstock, processing, transfer, a colorist's services or all of those.

• 4 weeks later...

That impress me , you got quite an exposure from LA , since your geographic options are not limited and you are looking for a film school where u can enhance your skills i suggest you to go for Whistling Woods International , i am an Ex Whistling Woods Student, trust me this is one place where u can really get the best , their technological resource is very sound and the faculty is from the film industry itself , having tie up with all the leading film schools globally you can have the best faculty giving lectures from all over the world .. i ll give you the WWI link .. you can also ask the counselor about your scope from this institute .. have fun

Link: http://www.whistlingwoods.net/main.asp