Help.. on a student project!!!

Hi,

I am a student at a film school in India.The course started only 2months ago and we are expected to make a 3min short film putting into practice the basics we have learnt.Mmy story is about a couple who work different shifts and who plan to take acertain day off to spend time with each other.My plan is to execute this through VO's.

We have had only one class on 3point lighting.Beins just a continuity exercise with location and time limits,I get only the afternoon to shoot this.The location would be one of the classrooms I'd have to transform into a room of a house.Now,my query is how do I create day and night convincingly in that room.We are allowed to use only 2 chinese lamps.

Any ideas about how I could execute this effectively in 4hours?Btw.we are shooting with a sony Z1P.

look forward to all suggestions.

thanks .

Please use your full name as your user name per the forum rules.

Now,my query is how do I create day and night convincingly in that room.We are allowed to use only 2 chinese lamps.

Any ideas about how I could execute this effectively in 4hours?Btw.we are shooting with a sony Z1P.

If you have enough sunlight coming in through the windows you could use sun as your key and put daylight balanced bulbs in the lamps and use them for fill, maybe place some foamcore boards and bounce the light. If the sunlight is too harsh, a low budget solution is to put tracing paper on the windows to diffuse the light.

For the night aesthetic I would cover the windows (pull the shades and tape / ND / cover with trash bags any areas where light is spilling through) and set the color balance on the camera to make your lamps appear warm.

There aren't any windows in the room.How then?

Please use your full name as your user name per the forum rules.

If you have enough sunlight coming in through the windows you could use sun as your key and put daylight balanced bulbs in the lamps and use them for fill, maybe place some foamcore boards and bounce the light. If the sunlight is too harsh, a low budget solution is to put tracing paper on the windows to diffuse the light.

For the night aesthetic I would cover the windows (pull the shades and tape / ND / cover with trash bags any areas where light is spilling through) and set the color balance on the camera to make your lamps appear warm.

There aren't any windows in the room.How then?

If your professor is making you create a realistic day and night aesthetic with only two china balls in a windowless room, he/she is setting you up for failure, unless you're shooting miniatures - in which case it's totally feasible.

• Premium Member

Do you have to shoot in the classroom? Either choose a new location that works for the story, or change the story to work with the location that you have. That's really all you can do if you don't have any time, budget, or equipment. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for failure.