lab & telecine in France/Europe

anthony le grand

Hi everyone,

I'm actually looking for a lab, if possible in France, at least in Europe, who processes 16mm with a great quality and for a reasonable price. I know Andec, who makes a very good job but I was wondering if I could get something a bit cheaper, i.e. less than 0,60€/meter??

Moreover, do you know a good place for the telecine?? I heard that Uppsala is making a good job and they have low prices. They're making it on a sniper (which I don't know at all). I've done 16mm telecine before on a spirit and had fantastic results, how's the sniper compared to that?

Cheers

Hi everyone,

I'm actually looking for a lab, if possible in France, at least in Europe, who processes 16mm with a great quality and for a reasonable price. I know Andec, who makes a very good job but I was wondering if I could get something a bit cheaper, i.e. less than 0,60€/meter??

Moreover, do you know a good place for the telecine?? I heard that Uppsala is making a good job and they have low prices. They're making it on a sniper (which I don't know at all). I've done 16mm telecine before on a spirit and had fantastic results, how's the sniper compared to that?

Cheers

Hi,

I'm in France. I advise you to go to Color by Dejonghe in Belgium. They do a great job and are reliable . I've had two 45 minutes features processed by them, 16mm. It's about 1euro/meter (30% cheaper than reputable french labs) for 16mm negative and print. They have a pickup box in Paris.

Arane is a small reliable lab in Paris, but i'm not sure they still do 16mm. The price after you use all your charm and get a deal would probably be the same as Dejonghe's.

Most other major labs have given up 16mm, and some of the smaller labs that still do it have been getting kind of sloppy. Make sure you get plenty of feedback before you go with any of them.

Good luck,

Marc.

Marc.

Hi,

I'm in France. I advise you to go to Color by Dejonghe in Belgium. They do a great job and are reliable . I've had two 45 minutes features processed by them, 16mm. It's about 1euro/meter (30% cheaper than reputable french labs) for 16mm negative and print. They have a pickup box in Paris.

Arane is a small reliable lab in Paris, but i'm not sure they still do 16mm. The price after you use all your charm and get a deal would probably be the same as Dejonghe's.

Most other major labs have given up 16mm, and some of the smaller labs that still do it have been getting kind of sloppy. Make sure you get plenty of feedback before you go with any of them.

Good luck,

Marc.

Marc.

For those of us that see the world in GBP, USD, and feet, 1Euro/m, at current exchange rates equates to 41¢/ft. or about 28 pence/foot (91pence/m).

Don't know if they're reputable or not, but a quick search of some of the local labs here in teh states shows rates as low as 19¢/ft. of 16mm (0Euro.46/meter)

For those of us that see the world in GBP, USD, and feet, 1Euro/m, at current exchange rates equates to 41¢/ft. or about 28 pence/foot (91pence/m).

Don't know if they're reputable or not, but a quick search of some of the local labs here in teh states shows rates as low as 19¢/ft. of 16mm (0Euro.46/meter)

Yeah, that's mainly why I'm asking. I'm always surprised to see that big difference between some labs in the us and in europe. And if you look at well known labs like LTC Paris, you'll see that it's way more expensive than those prices....

Thanks Marc for your answer. You're right, it's very important to have a good feedback.. and I only had good ones from Color by Dejonghe. 1€ for the negative & print is ok, actually i'm going for the processing, cleaning & telecine.

I didn't know Arane, thanks, I'll give them a call.

If you guys have any other adresses or other ideas, that would be great!

Thanks for the answers,

Anthony

Yeah, that's mainly why I'm asking. I'm always surprised to see that big difference between some labs in the us and in europe. And if you look at well known labs like LTC Paris, you'll see that it's way more expensive than those prices....

Thanks Marc for your answer. You're right, it's very important to have a good feedback.. and I only had good ones from Color by Dejonghe. 1€ for the negative & print is ok, actually i'm going for the processing, cleaning & telecine.

I didn't know Arane, thanks, I'll give them a call.

If you guys have any other adresses or other ideas, that would be great!

Thanks for the answers,

Anthony

Well, Anthony, I guess you need to weigh the greatly-increased shipping of having to fly film across the ocean (and the increased risks that will entail) against the better price, and supposedly better processing quality of an American lab.

I forget where, but didn't they have to reshoot a large chunk of "Valkyrie" because of a flub-up at Technicolor Rome?

Yeah, if I were you I'd try to find people who have sent 16mm film to each of the labs you are considering using. Only you can prioritize based on cost, convenience, and risk.

As for me, I always try to use the lab nearest to me. Often, I'll rather drive film than ship it, just to minimize as much as possible the risk of something happening to the film on the way there. If I recall correctly, they actually sent a guy on a plane flight with all of the footage from "Jaws" for that reason.

Of course, even if you drive the film, or deliver it by train, etc. things can still go wrong. You can wreck your car and die, the plane can crash, the train can derail, film can fly out an open window (don't ask me how I know that last one :o ) etc., etc., etc.

I'd highly recommend getting negative insurance so if an Act of God such as this should befall your production, you'll still be "covered".

Good luck!

Haha, yes things can always go wrong Karl!

But to be serious, I'd prefer to stay in Europe, it's too much risks to send the work overseas, even if it's cheaper. I wouldn't sleep, wondering all night if the rolls arrived well. A lab in Paris or like Dejonghe who can pick it in Paris is the best for me. It's just often really expensive. But i'm a student so I can always ask for a better price... :)

I don't agree with you, american labs are cheaper but the quality is as good in Europe, really. You can see it everyday with movies made here and with labs like Eclair who are considered as some of the best you can find.

You're right for ''Valkyrie'' though. But this happens sometimes, anywhere in the world. We heard a lot of this just 'cause it was Tom Cruise and a very important scene of a very important event of the 20th century. I guess it happens sometimes, anywhere, for independant features. We just don't hear of it.

But yeah, if other people have experiences with some other labs in France or close to France, with 16mm processing and telecine, I'll be happy to hear your feedback.

Cheers

Haha, yes things can always go wrong Karl!

But to be serious, I'd prefer to stay in Europe, it's too much risks to send the work overseas, even if it's cheaper. I wouldn't sleep, wondering all night if the rolls arrived well. A lab in Paris or like Dejonghe who can pick it in Paris is the best for me. It's just often really expensive. But i'm a student so I can always ask for a better price... :)

I don't agree with you, american labs are cheaper but the quality is as good in Europe, really. You can see it everyday with movies made here and with labs like Eclair who are considered as some of the best you can find.

You're right for ''Valkyrie'' though. But this happens sometimes, anywhere in the world. We heard a lot of this just 'cause it was Tom Cruise and a very important scene of a very important event of the 20th century. I guess it happens sometimes, anywhere, for independant features. We just don't hear of it.

But yeah, if other people have experiences with some other labs in France or close to France, with 16mm processing and telecine, I'll be happy to hear your feedback.

Cheers

Alright, that is fair enough.

Just to be fair, I'm sure you heard about the Episode of "Lost" that had to be entirely re-shot because the film all got zapped by an X-ray machine on the way back to California to be processed.

In case you change your mind, own a boat, and decide to tack a vacation to NYC onto your budget, it's a mere 3160 nautical miles by boat (or ~5850km / 3636statute miles by air.)

Sorry, couldn't resist! In all seriousness though, you are perfectly right. European labs as well as those in Brittain do excellent work. Ever consider taking your film through the Chunnel to the UK as another possibility?

Alright, that is fair enough.

Just to be fair, I'm sure you heard about the Episode of "Lost" that had to be entirely re-shot because the film all got zapped by an X-ray machine on the way back to California to be processed.

In case you change your mind, own a boat, and decide to tack a vacation to NYC onto your budget, it's a mere 3160 nautical miles by boat (or ~5850km / 3636statute miles by air.)

Sorry, couldn't resist! In all seriousness though, you are perfectly right. European labs as well as those in Brittain do excellent work. Ever consider taking your film through the Chunnel to the UK as another possibility?

Or maybe a cruise wouldn't be that expensive?? I would take the rolls with me and process everything in NYC. I'm sure it wouldn't be so expensive compared to the price differences between us & some european labs..

But more seriously yes, I considered the UK as well. But you know Karl, the UK is part of Europe. They just don't want to make things the same way than us! And they have their own food. But London is just a 2h trip from Paris.

I've been searching a bit and emailing some labs this weekend. Ilab in London & Color by Dejonghe in Belgium are offering very reasonable prices for students like me. I heard very good things about their work and they're both very nice & helpful.. so I might go with one of them..

Thanks for your help guys