Dolly Floor Wheels

Pete Wallington

How effective are "pneumatic floor wheels" on a dolly? Are they literally only usuable on a perfectly flat, smooth surface like a studio floor, or could they be used with some success on the street?

I'm talking about a cheap portable dolly such as the Keywest Magic Dolly - http://www.keywest.nl/

Hi Pete,

The pneumatic wheels do work best on a perfectly smooth and flat surface; but you can also use them on a relatively flat street. What kind of shots were you trying to get? If you want something super smooth you should probably go onto track. If you're on a wider lens and the street is flat you can get some decent shots but there will be bumps. The bumps will definitely start becoming more obvious with lenses above 35mm.

Ive never used the magic dolly but I checked the site out. It looks like a nice sturdy piece of work and I noticed it does come with the pop on skate wheels. If you need to be off track for flexibility within the move try to be on the most level ground or try to level the ground yourself if you have to. Scout the location first with your keys so you can see what your dealing with and prep for it.

Happy shooting! =)

Edited by Alexa Mignon Harris