canon xl2 settings in heavy sunlight ?

Aaron Williams

I use a canon xl2 to shoot surf footage, the environment im working in, 90 % of the time, involves heavy sunlight, the white foam created by breaking waves reflects a lot of light which makes finding the settings for a guy in a black wetsuit on a dark green wave very perplexing at the best of times. Add to this a salt mist in the air about 30 % of the time, which reduces sharpness. .Im dealing quite often with salt blowing onto my lens so an expensive polarising filter ect wouldnt last long as i have to clean the thing very often in most cases, so the inbuilt ND filter is a more practical way to reduce light. I would like to know which will give me the best quality;If i were to use only a screw on basic UV filter , no inbuilt ND filter i would typically shoot; f8 , 2000/1 sec , Using the inbuilt ND filter i would likely shoot around; f8, 1200/1 sec .

Also anyone who can offer any tips and tricks would be appreciated

I use a canon xl2 to shoot surf footage, the environment im working in, 90 % of the time, involves heavy sunlight, the white foam created by breaking waves reflects a lot of light which makes finding the settings for a guy in a black wetsuit on a dark green wave very perplexing at the best of times. Add to this a salt mist in the air about 30 % of the time, which reduces sharpness. .Im dealing quite often with salt blowing onto my lens so an expensive polarising filter ect wouldnt last long as i have to clean the thing very often in most cases, so the inbuilt ND filter is a more practical way to reduce light. I would like to know which will give me the best quality;If i were to use only a screw on basic UV filter , no inbuilt ND filter i would typically shoot; f8 , 2000/1 sec , Using the inbuilt ND filter i would likely shoot around; f8, 1200/1 sec .

Also anyone who can offer any tips and tricks would be appreciated

I shoot the XL2 also, and the use of a circular polarizer (CPL) is the most important item you could use. Reduce reflections,Increase saturation, The on board ND filter does not reduce reflections only reduces exposure which only opens up the aperture and creates shallow depth of field which in surfing makes it harder to maintain focus or slower shutter speeds which makes blur.

I use a CPL to maintain focus ability.I put a thin uv filter over it to protect the $270 filter. Regular linear pol filter inhibits the XL2 contrast focus lines and causes the lens to breath. when shooting with on shore winds I use a bag to prevent salt spray/sand/dust from evading camera.also a good sunshade and or french flag or "eyebrow" is a must to eliminate lens flare.

tips: I like to use a ND grad filter to further reduce the sky exposure and bring down clipping in the sky.

you can not bring out detail in the white blownout areas but you can lighten dark areas in post.

also I use a fluid head tripod this is a must.

zebras to 100% "to watch the blownout white in the waves and sky."

Gamma Normal "I notice in (cine) I increase contrast in post."

knee low "to prevent clipping in whites"

Black Stretch "to separate blacks from shadows and/or dark green waves"

I also make a second Custom Preset for the surfer girls but that's something entirely different.

Thanks,

Ron

• 1 month later...

If you're trying to emulate more "film-like" qualities on the XL2, I would do several things: Make sure your gain is at -3 db, use all of your ND, keep your shutter at 1/48th (assuming you are shooting 24p), and then set your aperature or iris. Yes you will have a shallower depth of field, which will make it harder to focus. But, if you are shooting surfers ride the same wave, there shouldn't be much change in distance, and you will probably get the hang of doing a minor focus pull to follow them.