Possibility of free 35mm samples?

Chris Keth

• Premium Member

I have been given film from Kodak for testing purposes. I recently got a 400' roll of their new b&w stock that I tested for a commercial I was shooting. It is not a normal practice of theirs I don?t think, but in the right situation they will. For example if you are going to buy many thousands of feet of a stock, and want to feel your options out a little better by shooting tests.

I have also gotten free demo rolls of newer stocks that are being released, etc.

Kevin Zanit

• Premium Member

Test samples are often available from Kodak. It always helps to get to know your local Kodak sales/technical representative on a first-name basis. ;)

Kodak often runs "trade tests" and "trade trials" of new films, usually under a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA). I know that sample rolls have been provided at product launches. The local sales offices sometimes spool up 35mm film cassettes for still cameras, but this is not routine.

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/about/ww...d=0.1.4.5&lc=en

I just acquired all the Fuji stocks from Fuji directly, and Kodak stocks from RGB Labs. Kodak only has recently introduced stuff directly from them.

Fuji has a student filmmaker department. They regularly visit film schools and hand out still-rolled motion stocks. I've got a business card somewhere. I'll track it down.

So, in other words, it all comes down to who you are ;)

:) Actually, I'm not a student. A student friend of mine turned me on to the Fuji program. I just called the woman who is heading it and presented myself as an amateur eager to learn how to capitalize on their stocks (which I am.) She was happy to fit me out with still-camera rolls.

Sometimes it doesn't hurt to simply ask. :D

Edited by mmorlan62

• Premium Member
So, in other words, it all comes down to who you are ;)

Well, yes and no. I am by no means the kind of DP who gets called to shoot tests for the new stocks Kodak is coming out with. At the same time, if you are in a position where you are going to be purchasing large quantities of stock for a project, you will get some help from Kodak.

Kevin Zanit

Here's how to get free film from Kodak. Call up the sales representative in your area and tell him that you are making a film with a moderate budget (probably best if you are doing 35mm) and that you are contemplating whether to go with Fuji film or Kodak film. Tell them that Fuji sent you 100 foot spools of each of their emulsions or something like that and then say that you were wondering if the Eastman Kodak company could do the same so you could decide which company deserves a $100,000 rawstock order :lol: I say this in jest, but to tell you the truth, it might actually work. You might not get 100 feet of each stock, but you might get a roll or two for your effort.

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

P.S. Sorry John ;)

• Premium Member
Here's how to get free film from Kodak.  Call up the sales representative in your area and tell him that you are making a film with a moderate budget (probably best if you are doing 35mm) and that you are contemplating whether to go with Fuji film or Kodak film.  Tell them that Fuji sent you 100 foot spools of each of their emulsions or something like that and then say that you were wondering if the Eastman Kodak company could do the same so you could decide which company deserves a $100,000 rawstock order  :lol: I say this in jest, but to tell you the truth, it might actually work.  You might not get 100 feet of each stock, but you might get a roll or two for your effort. 

Regards.

~Karl Borowski

P.S.  Sorry John ;)

You SHOULD be sorry. ;)

Trying to get free product samples by being dishonest about your intentions is NOT a good way to establish a business relationship with any company.

If you are a film student, Kodak supports many programs:

http://www.kodak.com/go/student

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/motion/students...d=0.1.4.3&lc=en

Kodak has well-established Corporate Responsibility Principles:

http://www.kodak.com/US/en/corp/principles/principles.shtml

Business Ethics Named Kodak Among "Best Corporate Citizens" in its 2004 Annual List:

http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jht...900688a8022e0d3

Guest Andy Sparaco

John a.k.a Mr Kodakguy:

What is the state of the state? When will there be another quantum leap in emulsion technology like 5218/7218?

Who is the Kodak rep in Chicago or is there one? There used to be a huge building in Oakbrook, then an office on the westside and now a pickup point at Astro lab.

How can a Commercial user who shoots miles of kodak stock each year get test rolls of 7205 and 7229?

• Premium Member
John a.k.a Mr Kodakguy:

What is the state of the state? When will there be another quantum leap in emulsion technology like 5218/7218?

Who is the Kodak rep in Chicago or is there one? There used to be a huge building in Oakbrook, then an office on the westside and now a pickup point at Astro lab.

How can a Commercial user  who shoots miles of kodak stock each year get test rolls of 7205 and 7229?

The Kodak technical representative for Chicago is Ben Stone. He can be reached at 773-867-3511 or benjamin.stone@kodak.com

Pick up location for Kodak film for Chicago, Illinois is:

61 West Erie Street

Chicago, IL 60610

1-800-621-FILM (3456)

As far as new Kodak films, "Time will tell, I won't", but there certainly are more new films on the way. :)

Edited by John_P_Pytlak

Guest dpforum1968

I have got so much free film from Kodak over the years I lost count of how many feet.

It would be in the thousands that's for sure. Like John said get on a first name basis, shoot the breeze, then hit em' up.

Try the reverse sales technique, do you know it? The salesman insists that the customer does NOT have to buy the product, the more the salesman says no the more the customer says yes.

Humans are contrary creatures, it's amazing how well this works.

Of course the salesman wanted the customer to say yes all along. Get it?

DC

Had several experiences with RGB and they are great to get film from however, I have often been disappointed in their development. Their development setup needs fine tuning I have noticed that colors are not as sharp as they should be and are kind of muddy. The price can't really be beat though.