Steadicam Merlin...?

Andrew Sobey

Does anyone have any experience with the Steadicam Merlin? I'm thinking about getting one for a shoot I have coming up, using the new Canon Rebel T1i (500D). I'm wondering if I'll have problems with extra wide lenses. I haven't actually got my hands on a Merlin yet, so I'm not sure if the camera can be shoved all the way to the front of the support plate and still be balanced, so I don't get the support in the bottom of the shot. If anyone who has experience using the Merlin with a D90 or 5D Mark 2, I'd love to hear about it.

Also, it looks like the rig might be small enough to use inside a car, but I'd hate to plan on that and then have it be too big and unwieldy. I'm thinking of the full setup, Merlin + vest and arm. Any insight?

I don't live in a place where I can easily see a demo, so anyone who has used the Merlin or similar small Steadicam rigs, I'd appreciate any helpful info/tips/tricks. And is there any way to undersling the camera with one of these? It doesn't really look like it's doable from the photos I've seen online, but that would be a very cool feature if it's possible.

Thanks.