color temp and lighting setup

Okay,

I have a few question about this lighting setup and all of your input would be much appreciated.

I am shooting in this bedroom next weekend a drug overdose scene on the bed and the look is suppose to be very almost flat looking and kind of gross, as in not pretty. Also the same room needs to be lit at night.

What color temp preset should I shoot at if I am probably going to shoot a 1k (all we have of that size) through the big window and maybe an arri 600 with full CTO to in front of the bed bouncing it on foam core. Is that a good move? Should I shoot 5500k preset if I’m using all day temp lights?

And the second shot will have to be at night, my only practical will be the bathroom which is located about 6ft behind where I am standing to take the picture. Should I rely on a "moon effect" through the window for illumination, as the actor will be on the window side of the bed on the ground, maybe a bright practical where the bathroom is for more illumination. The actress will walk out of the bathroom and walk in and see her boyfriend dead.

Is this the right approach? My lighting kit will be limited due to budget, like a 1k, 3 600 arri Fresnel’s, scrims, foam core and maybe a few lowals. and flags.

Camera is HVX-200 with redrock encore

thanks so much

Q: What color temp preset should I shoot at if I am probably going to shoot a 1k (all we have of that size) through the big window and maybe an arri 600 with full CTO to in front of the bed bouncing it on foam core. Is that a good move? Should I shoot 5500k preset if I’m using all day temp lights?

This is not a good move Kyle, as it is you are at bare minimum tungsten package. When you put those CTO up, you're loosing 1 2/3 stop of light. And HVX plus RR are thirsty for light, you are loosing another stop from the red rock, and some more on your lens (plus nasty noise in the blue channel on HVX).

I guess first shot is daytime interior, the 1K with CTO will not do anything to add light into the room (maybe just pattern), if you want a hard light coming in from the window as key light, forget it. I would gel the window with CTO and medium to light diffusion (250/ 251) -- (this will eliminate multiple shadows), and blast the everything you can spare, the IK, 2 lowels, etc. now you have a dreamy glow coming out from the window. put the rest of the kit as accent light, and pump up the ambient in the room. (remember HVX basically only have 4 stops to light)

Q: And the second shot will have to be at night, my only practical will be the bathroom which is located about 6ft behind where I am standing to take the picture. Should I rely on a "moon effect" through the window for illumination, as the actor will be on the window side of the bed on the ground, maybe a bright practical where the bathroom is for more illumination. The actress will walk out of the bathroom and walk in and see her boyfriend dead.

-this is easy, don't CTO any of the light, just try to white balance on a foamcore covered with a 1/4 CTO or 1/2 CTO, this will trick the WB to go blue. (or buy a warm/cool cards). still you do not want crush the blacks, give it an ambient fill, and then turn up the contrast in Post.

thank you for your responce.

I have requested a 2k at least for night scenes. I agree with gelling the windows and difussing them. With the RR encore there is about 1/2 stop of light loss, maybe another 1/2 with the zeisses. I am going to pump up the ambient light in the room. I figure I will use 1/2 CTB on my lamps inside to balance for the daylight preset (for day scene). I am going to see what works best for the night scene.

How can I make the 2k appear to be a blue'ish moon. Just 1/2 CTB the 2k (light loss reasons)?

thanks

Kyle