FCP fun again - what is going on!

Chris Millar

Hello,

I have some 1920x1080 footage here in a FCP sequence set up as XDCAM EX 1080p25 - 1920x1080 - square pixel aspect

its plays back fine

I export it using QT conversion - selecting the same settings ...

It will play back fine in quicktime and apple-I info shows it as being 1920x1080 (or 1888x1062 which I don't even want to begin to think about)

when I reimport the footage back into FCP it tells me in needs render and in the browser I am told is 1440x1080 (even in the same sequence that it was made in)

what gives!

As far as I can tell I have tried every setting and export iteration of settings/presets/whatever (good 3hrs tapping away here) - same issue, FCP tells me it is 1440x1080 and it wont work without a render in any 1920 timeline - IT AINT 1440! :rolleyes:

you might be asking why I am doing what I am doing - its a long story outlined in another thread ... Its basically my work around for another issue, but since today has stopped working - no change to any settings or processes - editing... what a hassle! give me a camera any day ;)

I'm taking the original 1920 clip that is recognized by FCP as 1920 (the one in the original sequence) and exporting that in quicktime to a clone of itself - choosing 1920x1080 results in a file that QT tells me is 1920x1080 - funny that huh :rolleyes: but read on ... exporting as 1920x1080 '16:9' gives me a file that is 1888x1062 (eh ???)

Both of these new files turn up as 1440 in FCP

The original file turns up as 1920 in FCP

its as if anything exported via QT from the last 24hrs or so becomes 1440 in FCP - what has changed ?

Check your timeline render setting. Apple + 0 when time is selected. Quicktime will only tell you DISPLAY resolution, not encoded resolution. Somehow you're ending up in XDCAM 1440, which is one way XDCAM compresses but still shoots "full" HD.

Check your timeline render setting. Apple + 0 when time is selected. Quicktime will only tell you DISPLAY resolution, not encoded resolution. Somehow you're ending up in XDCAM 1440, which is one way XDCAM compresses but still shoots "full" HD.

Quicktime tells me both display and encoded when I apple-i

current=display actual=encoded

Problem solved two days ago (thank you for alerting me to this floating thread) - I updated both progs via the update manager and voila - ALL problems gone.

I could have sworn I had auto updates on - and found that one of my macs had it updated but the one I was working on no ...

I was going nuts I tell ya - spent so long trying everything assuming due to my lack of knowledge that blaming the program would be a easy way to get no where fast... But I'm both happy and unhappy to say it was FCP/QT at fault :lol: