super wide angle lenses for SR2

Olivier Egli

hey

for my new music video I am intending to implement a few shots of the actors really close

looking into the lens with massive linear barrel distortion close to the look of a fish eye lens.

But I still want to be able to maintain high quality and focus. And not compromise resolution.

What are good options and advises for such a thing?

My main lens is a canon 8-64 zoom.

for this shots I intend to use:

either

a century 3,5mm T1.8 (fisheye I guess)

or

a optex S16 4mm T1.9 (expensive)

or

a tegea S16 5,7mm T1.8

which one should I chose to obtain the desired effect? What do I need to be cautious about?

I think focus is not a big issue since it is really deep with those lenses. Altough the actors are standing close by, almost sticking their nose into the mattebox...

depth of focus might be an issue if I do not have the time to check it. It is shallow like nothing, right?

Also, which one of these lenses will intercut best with my zoom?

thanks

"a optex S16 4mm T1.9 (expensive)"

I've used this lens a couple of times. It's a great lens in S16. It will intercut with your lens (or any for that matter) just fine. Especially when you're going to telecine.

It is not really a fish-eye lens though, not like the 35mm fisheyes anyway. There isn't as much distortion as the 35mm lenses have, but there certainly is some. As for people sticking their faces in the mattebox, forget it. You won't be able to use a mattebox, the lens sees about 140 degrees so if you're using specialty filters ask the rental house for solutions. I've yet to find a good one due to the fact that the front element sticks out farther than any other part of the lens.

Hope this helps.

Respectfully,

Jeff Tanner

Guest Andy Sparaco

I own the Tega and it works well,not apparently super wide angle until someone sticks there nose into it. Has a lenshood and uses 2" square filters

Intercuts seamlessly with my Superspeed set in Xfer

But be aware the back end of the 5.7mm Tega will strike the mirror of any SR unless the back element housing is machined away.

So if you have a friend that has one and an Arri-S it will total your SR :o

As for people sticking their faces in the mattebox, forget it.  You won't be able to use a mattebox, the lens sees about 140 degrees so if you're using specialty filters ask the rental house for solutions.  I've yet to find a good one due to the fact that the front element sticks out farther than any other part of the lens.

well, yeah, sorry, I thought about that and I forgot to mention it. was just a way of saying it :)

as I am using 500T expression and need quite a bit of artificial light I might have to ND, so what can I do to stick ND filters in front of the optex lens?