Camrea Operator with EX3 and Letus Ultimate looking for projects

Good eye for composition and balance, classically trained as a still photographer at Brooks Institute in the 90's with lots of shooting time in my career but no reel. I have the EX3 and Letus Ultimate with 5 Zeiss primes and a long zoom. I have been on 3 features and over 50 live broadcast shoots. I am looking for chances to work and build my reel as an Operator while still working as AC.

www,glynnalbert.com

Edited by Glynn Albert

• 1 month later...
Guest Elias Menasse
Good eye for composition and balance, classically trained as a still photographer at Brooks Institute in the 90's with lots of shooting time in my career but no reel. I have the EX3 and Letus Ultimate with 5 Zeiss primes and a long zoom. I have been on 3 features and over 50 live broadcast shoots. I am looking for chances to work and build my reel as an Operator while still working as AC.

www,glynnalbert.com

HI, THIS POST IS LETUS ULTIMATE RELATED.

LOOKING TO BUY ONE FOR OUR PRODUCTION OFFICE IN MEXICO.

ANY COMMENTS ON QUALITY ? LIGHT LOSS ? OVER ALL COMMENTS ?

THANK´S

• 3 weeks later...

EN,

I am very happy with the Letus Ultimate EX3 Combo. I have not done a formal test however, the Ultimate is only slightly limited by the light loss issue. Sharp, deep-focus images can be obtained, given enough light but be sure to get the Ultimate with the spinning ground glass, the other models vibrating type (when stopped down over 4.0 will show the ground glass). light lost in the system is between 1/2 to 3/4 stop max. See the Letus comparison chart for more details. The only down side to the Letus is that the tech support is terrible, it sometimes takes a day or more to get a call back, they don't staff the line with a person on hot standby.

The main thing to consider is the lenses. You want to get the fastest lenses you can afford. that gives you the most flexibility. Also lenses have a sweet spot check out the reviews on each lens it is usually around 4.0 to 5.6. For the deep focus shots you might want to go without the rig for extreme depth of field. but if what you want is shallow DOF then go with the Letus Ultimate and stop down in camera. You can see shots I recently did with my EX-3 and the Letus Ultimate right HERE

Glynn

EN,

I am very happy with the Letus Ultimate EX3 Combo. I have not done a formal test however, the Ultimate is only slightly limited by the light loss issue. Sharp, deep-focus images can be obtained, given enough light but be sure to get the Ultimate with the spinning ground glass, the other models vibrating type (when stopped down over 4.0 will show the ground glass). light lost in the system is between 1/2 to 3/4 stop max. See the Letus comparison chart for more details. The only down side to the Letus is that the tech support is terrible, it sometimes takes a day or more to get a call back, they don't staff the line with a person on hot standby.

The main thing to consider is the lenses. You want to get the fastest lenses you can afford. that gives you the most flexibility. Also lenses have a sweet spot check out the reviews on each lens it is usually around 4.0 to 5.6. For the deep focus shots you might want to go without the rig for extreme depth of field. but if what you want is shallow DOF then go with the Letus Ultimate and stop down in camera. You can see shots I recently did with my EX-3 and the Letus Ultimate right HERE

Glynn

One other thing that I forgot to mention is that although only about 1/2 stop is lost in the Letus, the place where you loose the most light is in the stock fujinon lens of the camera itself, this is because you have to use the zoom feature in order to get the frame filled up. So you'll up 2 stops their in camera, people are not aware of that. For a total system loss of 2.5 stops. The work around is the Letus Relay for the EX3. with this device, you remove the stock camera lens and replace it with the relay and you gain back at least 1.5 stops, so your effective loss for the system goes back to about 1/2 stop. This is nice for low light situations not necessary if you just gain up a bit in camera, but some people must have the best of the best, and with a price tag of $4,000 it brings the Letus Ultimate system with teh EX3 relay and Zeiss prime lenses to about $15,000. That,s more than the price of the camera, but if your concern is light loss the relay is really the answer.