Chrstopher Guest

jeff striker

Hey,

I personally love that gritty, super16 interview/feature style (best in show , a mighty wind....) They're not necessarily the best looking films out there, but definately entertaining.

He's original and adds a lot of heart to his pictures. A great filmmaker IMO.

-T

I think his stuff is very entertaining- I personally thought Spinal Tap was better than the recent string of movies.

Anyway, most of that stuff is improv- so your acting isn't going to be a whole lot better than "Whose Line is It Anyway"

The last few times I watched them I was wondering to myself, "When are these guys going to sit down and say 'Hey guys, maybe this time we should write a script.'"

I was lucky enough to meet Eugene at a film premier and talked to him about the writing process. He said, most people had the misconception that it was mostly improvised but he said they work the script meticulously to get the timing, characters, and story as good as they can. This style is definately not everybodies cup of tea, most people i know can't stand it.

Are we talking about American Pie or A Mighty Wind?

• Premium Member
Are we talking about American Pie or A Mighty Wind?

Considering Levy didn't write American Pie I would assume that he's talking about Waiting for Guffman, Best in Show, and A Mighty Wind. Personally, I love Guest's films. I think they're very original and funny and I can't wait for the next one.

• Premium Member
Anyway, whenever I see his name billed in a movie I think "YES! Another mockumentary!"

Are you mocking me for liking Guest's movies? If you don't like his movies thats fine, but why would you have a problem with ME liking them? I probably don't like a lot of the movies you do, but I certainly don't have a problem with you enjoying a film that I don't. I'm not a fan of the new Star Wars movies (which people seem to endlessly talk about on this site) but you don't see me posting negative comments about those people. To each is own.

Are you mocking me for liking Guest's movies?  If you don't like his movies thats fine, but why would you have a problem with ME liking them?  I probably don't like a lot of the movies you do, but I certainly don't have a problem with you enjoying a film that I don't.  I'm not a fan of the new Star Wars movies (which people seem to endlessly talk about on this site) but you don't see me posting negative comments about those people.  To each is own.

I'm not mocking anyone for liking anything. The characters for each movie are decently developed and the "ad lib" feel and pacing is great. Personally, I think the films are very well produced- they obviously know what they're doing when they make 'em. I don't think anyone personally puts down anyone else (on this forum) for liking a certain style, but there is plently of movie-maker bashing- especially directed towards George Lucas- so don't take it so personally when I criticize a movie maker you're especially fond of.

The term "mockumentary" is the term dubbed for this style of movie- one that emulates the documentary style- but based on a fictional event. (Sorry, Virginia, there is no Spinal Tap)

My only thought about Christopher Guest making this style (and as of late, this style ONLY) is that it would be nice if he broke into other markets. I'm not saying I want to see him in an action flick or another Princess Bride, but wouldn't it be cool if he channelled his energy towards diversifying?

He's obviously found a formula for his movies- and it works, great. But could we do something besides a musical?

• Premium Member
My only thought about Christopher Guest making this style (and as of late, this style ONLY) is that it would be nice if he broke into other markets. I'm not saying I want to see him in an action flick or another Princess Bride, but wouldn't it be cool if he channelled his energy towards diversifying?

Oh, OK, so you're badmouthing Guest, not me. Got it.