Donnie Darko

Hey,

I've seen this film a countless number of times and I find it to be one of the more profound movies out there - one of those open-ended films which have more than one plot point and many hidden details.

Steven Poster's work is beautiful and the look of the film is very fluid and liquid-like, yet dark and brooding at the same time. The movie was lit in a way that really spotlights the talents, in fact, spotlights seemed to be a motive used quite frequently throughout the film.

The story, cinematography, visual effects, music and acting seem to fold in nicely on this one, making it a solid film, yet one that's quite hard to follow at the same time. It's almost like telling a story in more than one dimension, integrating a modern-day setting with religous, spiritual and scientific themes.

Is it just me or does this film have 'one small step for man, one giant leap for mankind' written all over it???

Besides 'Pi' (which I didn't really like that much, to be honest) which other films of this genre would you recommend?

Thanks,

-T

• 3 weeks later...

Ah yes, Donnie Darko is great.

If you like the themes/narrative technique of Donnie Darko, then check out:

David Lynch films (Mulholland Drive, Blue Velvet, Lost Highway, Wild at Heart).

I would say Donnie Darko is very much like Lynch films.

Also, Michaelangelo Antonioni's "Blow-Up" is a great choice for films presented in a surprisingly new way. Peter Weir's "Picnic at Hanging Rock" is another one.

There are a million other great films that I'm sure you would love (Memento, Fight Club, Requiem for a Dream, etc etc)--but the ones I mentioned above (Lynch, Antonioni, Weir) are the most akin to Donnie Darko (or rather DD is akin to them)

Enjoy watching these great films...I envy you...getting see all these great films for the first time :)

Trevor