Glow in the dark stars

Hi everyone,

I'm shooting on the Red and have an insert of a ceiling covered in glow in the dark stars at night. The gaffer and I are looking into raising the "glow output" they're giving with a blacklight. Has anyone tried this? Another option is building a false ceiling and back lighting that.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

maya

• Premium Member
I'm shooting on the Red and have an insert of a ceiling covered in glow in the dark stars at night. The gaffer and I are looking into raising the "glow output" they're giving with a blacklight. Has anyone tried this?

Yes, I 1st'd a short film about a year ago where we did this. We shot 16mm, I believe the stock was Fuji 400T low-con. Shot on wide open Super Speeds. I haven't seen the footage, but the DP has told me the glow stars gave more than enough exposure to read on film without the black light, so if you just want the stars to read then I think you'll be fine. As I recall, the black light had to be very close to actually brighten the glow stars, so we ended up not using it. If you actually want the stars to light the space, then you won't have enough exposure for that. We ended up augmenting with Rosco light pads.

Yes, I 1st'd a short film about a year ago where we did this. We shot 16mm, I believe the stock was Fuji 400T low-con. Shot on wide open Super Speeds. I haven't seen the footage, but the DP has told me the glow stars gave more than enough exposure to read on film without the black light, so if you just want the stars to read then I think you'll be fine. As I recall, the black light had to be very close to actually brighten the glow stars, so we ended up not using it. If you actually want the stars to light the space, then you won't have enough exposure for that. We ended up augmenting with Rosco light pads.

That's great news, we don't need the stars to offer up any light we just need to see them!

Thank you!

• Premium Member
That's great news, we don't need the stars to offer up any light we just need to see them!

Thank you!

Sure. Of course, I also recommend that you shoot a test with the glow stars, or at least spot meter them to make sure you're getting the output you need with your selected gamma/iso/color space camera settings...

Edited by Satsuki Murashige