Pull down claw issue

Guest Ronney Ross

Guest Ronney Ross

I bought a Super 8 camera made by a company named "Cavelier" that actually maybe a diamond in the rough but not sure yet. I saw a camera recently for only $14 dollars. I didn't need a camera but the price and that the camera had some decent features 7-70 zoom 1,18,24,50 fps 1.8 to f32 lens speed extremely quiet. But the issue is the cameras claw isn't fully engaging the film it leaves a mark by the perfs but not pulling the film to advance it I am wondering would something like a solding iron and wire to make a nipple of sort usually work w/o scratching my film please chime in.

I would suspect that the camera may have other problems. Does the claw actually move - or is it just sitting there ? Being extremely quiet might be the indication that not all of the gearing is engaging.

It's unlikely that it has worn down through use - so making the claw bigger may just result in it getting stuck, or damaging the film more dramatically. The cost of the Super 8 film to find out is greater than that of the camera...

My 2c.

Guest Ronney Ross

The claw and the sprocket that turns the cartridge all function just seems like the claw is a little worn down I was think of running it without the gate but w/ jitter being known as a culprit to s8 hoping to avoid doing that.

Ronney, I've had EXACTLY the same problem with my Nizo 156, I have not been able to solve the problem by doing anything with the camera, but what helped was this: Before you put in the cartridge, advance the film a little by turning the take up spool on the cartridge in the direction it would when filming, I think it was clockwise if you look at it, you'll notice very soon if you're doing it right. Now, turn the spool until the film starts advancing, as you do this you'll notice that you come along a part of the film that is bent outwards, you probably will encounter some resistance, too, like the film is sticking to something in there. My reasoning is that this is a result of being wound tightly around the small guide rollers, or pins, inside the cartridge. You should come across TWO of these sections where you'll notice the film to be a little bent outwards. Once you've passed these two parts (You will waste maybe a foot of film, it's very little, don't worry about it), try to put the cartridge in and listen closely at the camera, maybe compare the running noise of it while empty and while loaded, and check the cartridge if it has been advanced (mark the film with a sharpie and see if the mark is still there). Also my Nizo sounds VERY different when it has actually engaged the film, the rattling will be bolder and I feel more vibration, in a kind of come-and-go pattern.

One little piece of advice though, what I described has worked for me with Ektachrome 64t cartridges which I've always ordered from Dwayne's. However ALL of them hat these slight bents in them, and I have yet to encounter one that doesn't. I am not sure what kind of film you are using, and if this will solve the problem, but it's worth a try, worst case scenario you waste a foot of film.

Hope I could help.