camera trainees, who to call?

Since graduating in May I've been looking to get work as a camera trainee on a feature set. I've tried approaching production companies directly with little / no success. Is it better to contact the DP or the 1st AC? I'm just curious as I would have thought the DP would want to know who is playing with his/her gear but the trainee would be (primarily) answerable to the AC.

Guest Stephen Murphy
Since graduating in May I've been looking to get work as a camera trainee on a feature set. I've tried approaching production companies directly with little / no success. Is it better to contact the DP or the 1st AC? I'm just curious as I would have thought the DP would want to know who is playing with his/her gear but the trainee would be (primarily) answerable to the AC.

David - You should contact Focus Pullers, Clapper Loaders and Production Managers. DP's have a hard enough time fighting to get their Gaffer/Grip/Operator and Focus Puller on board that they usually dont have the time to push for a particular trainee. The trainee works closely with the assistants so i fond its usually better to let them pick someone theyre comfortable with. If a Focus Puller doesnt have a regular trainee then they'll usually ask either the Loader or the PM for a recommendation so make sure you contact them as well.

S

David - You should contact Focus Pullers, Clapper Loaders and Production Managers. DP's have a hard enough time fighting to get their Gaffer/Grip/Operator and Focus Puller on board that they usually dont have the time to push for a particular trainee. The trainee works closely with the assistants so i fond its usually better to let them pick someone theyre comfortable with. If a Focus Puller doesnt have a regular trainee then they'll usually ask either the Loader or the PM for a recommendation so make sure you contact them as well.

S

Good shout, thanks for the tip Stephen.