Lighing Super 8 Stop Motion

Robert Capria

• Premium Member
Is it possible to light well for Super 8 stop motion using 100 Watt and 50 Watt household bulbs? Just wondering because I don't want to layout for a $500 or $1000 lighting kit just yet.

I would appreciate any insight.

It certainly is possible. The beauty of lighting for stop motion is that you are lighting vastly smaller spaces and your lamps go a lot further. I've lit a few stop motion films and most of my lighting came from 150W and 300W fixtures and a 650W fixture that fed many fiber optic strands that were run for all of the practical lighting on the set and all of the light sources that had to be very small.

The problem you will have is in controlling the light from that type of source. I recommend you get a roll of blackwrap. You can cut it to any shape or size and it will help you to shape the light on your tiny sets. You might find that you only set one or two lights and then place 20 or 30 flags or bits of blackwrap to shape it the way you want.

It certainly is possible. The beauty of lighting for stop motion is that you are lighting vastly smaller spaces and your lamps go a lot further. I've lit a few stop motion films and most of my lighting came from 150W and 300W fixtures and a 650W fixture that fed many fiber optic strands that were run for all of the practical lighting on the set and all of the light sources that had to be very small.

The problem you will have is in controlling the light from that type of source. I recommend you get a roll of blackwrap. You can cut it to any shape or size and it will help you to shape the light on your tiny sets. You might find that you only set one or two lights and then place 20 or 30 flags or bits of blackwrap to shape it the way you want.

\\

Thanks Chris. I thought it would probably be possble. What about the color temperature of the bulbs such as General Electric? Should I buy frosted ones or

the chrystal clear type?

What does one mount the blackwrap on --- small stands made of pencils or something? I woiuld be fun to create a miniature kit with flags and scrims from items bought in hardware store.