taking a role as production manager "SMDH"

Damon Tidwell

FELLAS !

Thanks for all your advices and inputs because I'm inspired to get back in the game. This is a GREAT site. The last couple of days, I went through the forums and search the answer I'm looking for but no luck. Hopefully you can help.. Last year, I wrote a comedy short and here's the story..

Comedy :

There are Five elderly men playing cards in the living room. One man hates losing by the same man twice and wants to seek new challenge. The winner accepts new challenge. The new challenge is BATTLE (rapping). The two elderly man going at each other while other three elders cheer on. Having two elderly men battle hip hop as such as KRS-1 vs. Chuck D or Mos Def vs. Common.

This will be my first short to direct and my sixth as DP. I decided to have a team instead doing everything by myself or work with inexperience crew. This time I want to shoot on 35mm Format. I already experineced with 16mm, HD and Mini DV and it's time to move to another level.

The question is...what's the size of the crew for one day shoot ? It's a 8 pages ( 7.5) long and runtime is 10 minutes because I might add something. The shooting ratio is 3:1 ( need to buy 2700 feet roll of film) There are five casts, but I might add or eliminate 1 cast. One location..Living room : elderly men playing cards or add the Den for 2 men rapping ( or remained in living room).

1) Do you think it's a one day or two days shoot ? Remember it is a 35mm short..

2) How long is the set up for one day? I know 2 times meal are mandatory!!!

3) Is this a good size crew ? Me - Dir/DP/OP

Camera Dept. 2 people = 1 AC, 2nd AC/Loader

Electic & Grip Dept. 2 people = Gaffer/Electrician, Key grip

Sound man

4) How can I have a good, fast and smooth production from 10 to 12 hour shoot ? I don't want to experince 16 hours one meal day again LOL

I truly need your help...THANKS.

• Premium Member
1) Do you think it's a one day or two days shoot ? Remember it is a 35mm short..

2) How long is the set up for one day? I know 2 times meal are mandatory!!!

3) Is this a good size crew ? Me - Dir/DP/OP

Camera Dept. 2 people = 1 AC, 2nd AC/Loader

Electic & Grip Dept. 2 people = Gaffer/Electrician, Key grip

Sound man

4) How can I have a good, fast and smooth production from 10 to 12 hour shoot ? I don't want to experince 16 hours one meal day again LOL

I truly need your help...THANKS.

I think you should be able to do this in one day if you plan your coverage well.

I can't comment on a lot of that stuff, but it looks like you have the crew pretty well figured out. You can operate yourself or take an operator. That's up to you. You have a first and a second, both of which are needed for 35mm.

I would add a G&E swing, personally. It's much more efficient that way for situations like aiming lamps that are outside coming in through windows where you need 2 people on walkie. If you decide to add the den, 3 people will help speed up the reset a great deal.

With the whole film being a group of people in one place, the sound mixer may want to mix and have a boom operator. I think the sound would suffer if he was trying to do both, 5 is a lot of people to mix while booming.

Edited by Chris Keth