Broke the law af camera axe

Alaa Ghuniem

Do you mean crossing the line (axis) and camera angle (not angel)? A good book for non-technical folks is Film Art by D. Bordwell and K. Thompson. There are eight editions of this, but any of them should provide you with basic camera framing information.

I think it varies country by country, but in terms of American film history, I think it would be sometime in the mid 1940's (after WWII) when the monopolies of film companies (i.e. production/distribution) was broken and films were forced to become better because distribution houses could choose which films they actually wanted to buy, as opposed to being forced into buying every single picture a given studio made in a year (the good and the bad). What this did stylistically to filmmaking, is it made the studios search for new ways to tell stories, since the quality of each individual picture had to be much higher. As a result the quantity of films being made during this time dropped.

In terms of other countries, the first place I would look would be in early french cinema since they have always been at the forefront of chance taking, not just in the "New Wave", but also in the silent era. Check out carl dreyer, abel gance, rene clair.

Also a good place to look would be early soviet cinema, before the communist regime pretty much shut down film production unless it had to do with making the communist government look really good. People like, Sergei Eisenstein (battleship potempkin), Dziga Vertov, Vsevolod Pudovkin.

One last place to look that I just realized would also be early german expressionism. They basically invented the horror film. Whereas the soviets were mainly focused on editing, and cutting, early german cinema in the 1920's and teens was mostly focused on mise-en-scene and psychology.

It's interesting to see where these stylistic changes took place and why.