Sony HVR-Z1

danny bartle

I've been seriously considering buying 2 of the Z1 HD cameras for an upcoming 6 month travelling documentary (which may or may not happen yet). As its a sports related doco, slow motion is a necessity. Before anyone suggests 16mm as I know this would prob be best for slo-mo, its not really in the budget as theres heaps of sports to be shot, possibly a 15:1 usage ratio, mostly highlights from games.

So, has anyone shot with this cam (or FX1) in 50 or 60i, then transferred to progressive, if so with what results? My final output will be in PAL standard def.

I've been seriously considering buying 2 of the Z1 HD cameras for an upcoming 6 month travelling documentary (which may or may not happen yet). As its a sports related doco, slow motion is a necessity. Before anyone suggests 16mm as I know this would prob be best for slo-mo, its not really in the budget as theres heaps of sports to be shot, possibly a 15:1 usage ratio, mostly highlights from games.

So, has anyone shot with this cam (or FX1) in 50 or 60i, then transferred to progressive, if so with what results? My final output will be in PAL standard def.

Hmmm... it might be an overkill for your budget, but you could try the Varicam with normal ENG HD lenses. My reason for recommending this camera at the end of the day is the fact that Varicam can shoot at different frame rates. Thus you can do slo mo of up to 60 frames per second. Its just a suggestion, for i'm not sure of your budget of the shoot.

Cheers

Jac

• Premium Member

I know you don't have the budget of NFL films, but they use 16mm for their unique "look", which includes LOTS of slow motion. :)

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/...uly99/nfl.shtml

http://www.kodak.com/country/US/en/motion/sabol/index.shtml

Although their shooting ratio is much higher than 15:1, the film "look" has been very successful for them!

Just played with Z1E, the 25cf mode is quite good.

Same/similar motion strobing as f900

For slow mo you could also do 60i and deinterlace to create low res 60p

Will put it through a post production chain to see how it falls apart.....

Mike Brennan

For slow mo you could also do 60i and deinterlace to create low res 60p

Will put it through a post production chain to see how it falls apart.....

Mike Brennan

that would be great to hear how your post production for slow motion goes...

When you said create low res 60p, did you mean you would be able to create 60p at SD resolution? ie: 720 x 576 for PAL?

John, yes I love the NFL films. They look great. I'm still a big film fan myself as I own & still use a Bolex RX5 which I use when shooting sports at 64fps. It looks so good when transferred but I only use it when I know a shot will work.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest deadfish

yep I have done some slow mo with After Effects plugin callled twixtor pro and refields.

The Video was captured using a trial version of HD aspect (it seems they have not finished developing it for the hdr-fx1(still beta))

if you would like I could host the videos somewhere.