24P to 60i conversion

My church recently shot a lecture by a guest speaker which was originally intended for distribution on it's website. Several weeks later, I was asked to broadcast it on the local community access channel in place of the our regular service broadcast.

The problem I have is that it was shot in 24F HDV on a Canon XH-A1, rather than the usual 60i DV that I use for broadcasts. The guys up at the access channel tell me that their broadcast server will only support 60i DV and DVCAM (NTSC), so I need to down-convert and add pulldown. When I tried exporting the footage as a 29.97fps DV AVI from Premiere the results were absolutely terrible. The image was tearing, blurring, and incredibly soft.

Is there a better way to do this downscale and pulldown? The only programs I have access to right now are Adobe Premiere and After Effects (I have almost no experience with AE). Would After Effects give me a better result than Premiere?

This is all being done on a non-existent budget and volunteer work, and I've never really had to bother with frame rate conversion for TV broadcast before.

Edited by Chris Bowman