Older Technology - Digitizing.

This is my third post.

1) When using older technology such as tube camera's,.. what equipment is required? Meaning if a hardware unit is required to get the footage into a pc or mac?

2) What is the main benefit of CCD versus tube technology?

If you wish to elaborate further on this topic it would be greatly appreciated!

Most Respectfully,

Acastle

:rolleyes:

Getting signal out of an analog camera and into a computer requires that you have a capture card that supports analog formats. These cards have Analog to Digital converters which allow the video from the camera to be understood by the computer.

Cards with this capability are manufactured by Pinnacle, Black Magic, and Matrox (and probably more than a few others I can't think of right now).

Many studio cameras only output through a multi-function cable which is designed to plug into a Camera Control Unit (CCU). The controls on the camera can be operated remotely by this unit, and it is also the only way to get a standard output to send to your recording deck/capturing device.

As to the advantages of CCD over tubes . . . They are numerous.

CCD's use much less power, they weigh grams, rather than tons (maybe I'm exaggerating a little), they don't go soft over time . . . about their only disadvantage is their fixed grid pattern (which isn't much of a disadvantage since most displays also have this drawback).

• Premium Member

When CCD cameras came out and shots could include a bright light

in the frame, that was a big advantage. Tube cameras, especially smaller, less expensive

tube cameras, say less than $10,000.00, would have huge streaks in the picture from

bright lights in the frame, or simply bright areas, such as shiny chrome. The tubes could

be damaged or ruined too.