Sprocket Holes part of exposure

Bryce Lansing

When I got my Bolex test back from telecine, I noticed that the full frame scan showed a little bit of the sprocket holes on the left side. Part of the image was actually cut off by the holes. I checked the Bolex with a dummy roll and sure enough, I see the sprocket holes through the aperture.

4029321383_3ea426abc6_b.jpg

This isn't a problem now, because when I crop to 16:9, I'm cropping out the top and bottom of it anyway. But I was concerned about if I decided to convert to Super 16, and will need most of the frame when I transfer to 16:9. Is this normal?

When I got my Bolex test back from telecine, I noticed that the full frame scan showed a little bit of the sprocket holes on the left side. Part of the image was actually cut off by the holes. I checked the Bolex with a dummy roll and sure enough, I see the sprocket holes through the aperture.

4029321383_3ea426abc6_b.jpg

This isn't a problem now, because when I crop to 16:9, I'm cropping out the top and bottom of it anyway. But I was concerned about if I decided to convert to Super 16, and will need most of the frame when I transfer to 16:9. Is this normal?

This isn't an issue. Its quite normal and will have no effect on the possibility or otherwise of widening the gate for super 16 or ultra 16. A normal 4:3 telecine would not have included those parts of the image. No doubt since you are going to 16:9 the telecine operator gave you the full width.

• Premium Member

What you can do is at the head of your first roll of a show, shoot an alignment chart. The chart is basically the same lines you see in the viewfinder. That way the telecine operator can set up to match what you saw in the finder and deliver the composition you intended.

-- J.S.