A warm, intimate setting

David Desio

So I have a sit-down interview coming up in a few days and I need a few suggestions as to how to approach the lighting. So the client wants the experience to feel warm and intimate-read late evening and tungsten coloring predominantly.

So I suggested shooting in an old bed and breakfast and we found one that looks very nice, rich earth-toned furniture and all.

Then the dilemma, the room that we are shooting in is very brightly lit by a number of large windows with white sheer draping and yellow trim. We MAY NOT dress the location other than moving a few pieces of furniture around.

Here are 2 pics:

Is the problem that the natural light from the window won't be warm enought? If the windows aren't in the shot, just black them out. If the window is/must be in the shot, play with CTO-gelled lights outside the window. Or you can just white-balance (assuming you're shooting digital) to a CTB'd tungsten light, so that the natural light appears warm.

Also, soft lighting sounds appropriate.

Edited by Alex Zustra

Jeff, I mean final image,

I'm shooting digital and the windows must be in the frame, no way around that. So I was thinking along the same lines as you Alex, warm balance the camera and be done with it. Then I thought maybe I'll position the people so that the window act as an edge source giving a whiter edge and use a couple of tungsten soft boxes for the keys from the inside of the place. I saw that there is some red furnitureat the place and I am going to try and insist that we use it in the shot to enhance the warmness.

Thanks for the help guys.