My Ditty bag is huge!

With sandbag t-markers, a bunch of cables and connectors, tools and etc this thing is in a big tool bag and weighs in at 36 lbs. I don't feel like I have too much, I like to be prepared for ANYTHING! What say you? Move to two different bags/ multiple bags? Keep the one big bag? Change to a different type of bag?

Sounds like time to start seperating out. My kit has expanded into a number of bags and large plastic bins. For example:

Cinebag for camera AKS

2nd AC bag for marks and tools

empty run-bag

Pelican case for AC tools that stay on the truck or are rarely used

Expendables bin

Foul weather bin

Cam dept grip/electric bin

Cam dept office tools/supplies bin

Cans/cores/bags bin

Film loading tools/supplies bin

Laptop and computer cables case

Additionally:

10'x10' EZ-UP tent

4 sandbags

3 umbrellas

2 camera carts

1 baby stand for monitor

pana-cooler for grip pops :)

With sandbag t-markers, a bunch of cables and connectors, tools and etc this thing is in a big tool bag and weighs in at 36 lbs. I don't feel like I have too much, I like to be prepared for ANYTHING! What say you? Move to two different bags/ multiple bags? Keep the one big bag? Change to a different type of bag?

Sounds like time to start seperating out. My kit has expanded into a number of bags and large plastic bins. For example:

Cinebag for camera AKS

2nd AC bag for marks and tools

empty run-bag

Pelican case for AC tools that stay on the truck or are rarely used

Expendables bin

Foul weather bin

Cam dept grip/electric bin

Cam dept office tools/supplies bin

Cans/cores/bags bin

Film loading tools/supplies bin

Laptop and computer cables case

Additionally:

10'x10' EZ-UP tent

4 sandbags

3 umbrellas

2 camera carts

1 baby stand for monitor

pana-cooler for grip pops :)

That sounds like a good setup. Everyone's kit is going to vary, but I think it's important to know the items you WILL need, and always have them, the items you will PROBABLY need, and keep them close by (or on the cart) and the items that you MIGHT need and keep them on the truck (or in the car etc...)

I carry the WILL need items on my belt and in a husky open top tool bag, the rest gets spread out depending on circumstances.

I think it's helpful to have an array of bags/totes that you can put stuff in depending on circumstances.

Do you bring all of that stuff to each shoot? Is your car usually close enough to access everything you need?

No, I only bring what is needed. My full kit is set up for working on location features where camera dept has a truck/trailer with lots of space. When I work on commercials I usually par it down to AKS bag, Marks bag, Pelican case. I only need to bring the kit that I need for each job. Example, if I am working as a film loader for a day all I need is my film loading bin.

The bins I use are industrial grey plastic bins:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/storage/...ty%20Containers

• Premium Member

I have an AC friend who used to work with a (notoriously difficult) DP that didn't like my friend's cinebag because he thought it was too big. It's silly for the DP to care, but it was basically a deal breaker if he wanted to stay on the show (it was TV). The big problem was that this particular show used hard mattes a lot, and finding a smaller bag that also had enough space for the hard mattes, and everything else, was tough. I think he ended up finding a good bag at home depot or lowes.

This is just a small example of why you want to have options. Better reasons have already been stated in previous responses. The point is, options are always good. AC's are expected to have everything they need at all times. Running to the truck or cart for a hard matte isn't an option, no matter what bag your DP will allow you to have on set.

I've gone way off track with this post, but a little common sense based on the job you're doing and who you're working with goes a long way. Being prepared for those different situations is key. Luckily, there are tons of options out there these days.

• Premium Member
I have an AC friend who used to work with a (notoriously difficult) DP that didn't like my friend's cinebag because he thought it was too big. It's silly for the DP to care, but it was basically a deal breaker if he wanted to stay on the show (it was TV).

That's the stupidest thing I have ever heard.