animation on a bolex

Alina Postula

I am going to be doing a stop motion animation on a bolex (rex 5 I believe). I was told that I should either get a motor or set it to 12 fps and meter for a 1/40th of a sec shutter speed? But I'm a little unclear on it if anyone could clarify this for me it would be great. thank you.

• Premium Member

You really should set the I/T lever to I (intermittent). Then push the Stop/Go button Toward the Lens. This will give you a single frame image each time you push the button forward ( it's on the side of the camera). Exposure is rated at 1/30 th of a second. Good Luck.

Also, I'm not sure if your camera has one, but if it has a cable release, I would use it. Nothing worse that doing all of that work only to find out that the camera moved ever so slightly each frame as a result of pushing a button on the side.

T

I am going to be doing a stop motion animation on a bolex (rex 5 I believe). I was told that I should either get a motor or set it to 12 fps and meter for a 1/40th of a sec shutter speed? But I'm a little unclear on it if anyone could clarify this for me it would be great. thank you.

They may have meant "get a motor and set it to 12 fps" ...

However, use a cable release as has been suggested.

I bet you'll be bookmaking this website:

http://www.sci.fi/~animato/

The 1/30th 1/40th issue is a confuddling mess of misinformation due to the prism (or lack thereof) - are we talking of a real time or an 'adjusted for the prism' time - and on top of that different cameras single frame 'T' settings give different times depending on the stickiness in the system (like the bell thingy in the governor).