Deliberately fogging film

banba ban

Hi Guys,

I am looking to create the effect of film being run on/off, light leak, flashframe etc for use in post production.

I'm planning on running 100ft of film through my S16 Bolex to create the effect.

I'll get the usual fogged frames at the top & tail of the spool, but I want the whole 100ft to have a variety of light leak/fogging issues.

I plan on intermittently removing the filter holder and shining a light through the slot.

I also plan on intermittently removing the lens to expose the film.

I will shoot with an old roll of 7245 (5 years old but kept refrigerated).

I guess I'm looking for any guidance/tips from someone who may have done this.

Many thanks.

Keep in mind I am a film purist: You are better off to do this effect in post, using maybe some high-con B&W copy stock that you can apply different sorts of "fog" to overlaid over your '45 so you can selectively control it.

You just need to create a black "hold out matte" and then overlay a red fog, so you can selectively control the amount of fog and amount of image detail.

Otherwise you are just playing with fire. You could get lucky; you could strike out. Just a thought. . .

(Of course, if you are finishing on film, this becomes more difficult, but by shooting '45 I assume you are finishing for HD).

Edited by Karl Borowski