Generators

Brian McGee

• Premium Member
I see several posts here regarding portable diesel generators for motion picture use. If you have questions you would like to ask a manufacturer of some of these,let's have it.

I'm getting a 35kW Onan Diesel in a month or so (trade-out for some engineering work). It hasn't run in years because of disinterest but it's got very low hours on it. It wouldn't have been mothballed properly, just ignored after the battery went dead. What would you do to bring it back to life other than obviously buy a new battery.

Also, who makes the crystal kits for generators? I seen reference to the kits in posts by LA gaffers but don't know where to start looking.

I'm getting a 35kW Onan Diesel in a month or so (trade-out for some engineering work). It hasn't run in years because of disinterest but it's got very low hours on it. It wouldn't have been mothballed properly, just ignored after the battery went dead. What would you do to bring it back to life other than obviously buy a new battery.

Also, who makes the crystal kits for generators? I seen reference to the kits in posts by LA gaffers but don't know where to start looking.

Replace the battery and any connections that have any corrosion at all, especially the battery negative.

Fresh Fuel !

Disconnect the fuel pump actuator so engine WONT start. Change the oil, and fuel filters. Fill fuel filter half way with dexron mercon transmission fluid. Run through several crank cycles to pump up oil through engine and turbo charger and to get dexron into injection pump, this will clean it out.

Now re-connect actuator and crank it up. It will smoke for about 3 minuets or so and then shuld start to run cleaner.

It is also a good idea to inspect inside generator for dirt dobber nests and mice. Look at all rotating parts you can see, especially the fan{inside generator}.

You may also have to prime the fuel pump, Cummins engines have a bleed port for this, others you may need to crack an injector line to get all air and contaminated diesel out.

Woodward and goveners of america sell sync kits but be carefull, if you havent done this before you can easily destroy the engine. I am in Dallas but I can recomend a guy in Van Nuys who can install these units. Hope it goes well !

• Premium Member
Replace the battery and any connections that have any corrosion at all, especially the battery negative.

Fresh Fuel !

Disconnect the fuel pump actuator so engine WONT start. Change the oil, and fuel filters. Fill fuel filter half way with dexron mercon transmission fluid. Run through several crank cycles to pump up oil through engine and turbo charger and to get dexron into injection pump, this will clean it out.

Now re-connect actuator and crank it up. It will smoke for about 3 minuets or so and then shuld start to run cleaner.

It is also a good idea to inspect inside generator for dirt dobber nests and mice. Look at all rotating parts you can see, especially the fan{inside generator}.

You may also have to prime the fuel pump, Cummins engines have a bleed port for this, others you may need to crack an injector line to get all air and contaminated diesel out.

Woodward and goveners of america sell sync kits but be carefull, if you havent done this before you can easily destroy the engine. I am in Dallas but I can recomend a guy in Van Nuys who can install these units. Hope it goes well !

Thank you! Using Mercon as a cleaner is a great idea, I've known for years about ATF's being high detergent and useful for cleaning but would never have thought to use it to flush a diesel fuel system. I'm in Oklahoma, if I chicken out on the sync kit install I'll call you.