Shelf Life of Cross Processed Neg

Hello,

I've been researching about the instability of cross processing reversal stock and my question lies below.

(but first)

Kodak Site on Cross Processing:

"The ECN-2 process provides only a surfactant in the final rinse. If stabilization is not provided, the product suffers magenta dye fade in a relatively short time. "

The site encourages the creation of an internegative as soon as possible for "Archive Purposes". I am trying to get an idea of just how long I have. I am preparing for a short film and once shot, the neg will have a shelf life of about 4 months before it will be conformed. For budgeting purposes we would rather not have to create an interneg immediately if possible.

A "relatively short time" only leaves me puzzled, I can feel another wrinkle forming on my forehead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

Alejandro

:unsure:

Cross-processing is by its very nature, a non-standard process, and for that reason, nobody (labs or stock manufacturer) will give any guarantees as to the outcome.

As the Kodak site points out, the regular ECN2 process does not normally include a stabiliser, which is a requirement in the VNF or E6 processes specified for reversal film stocks.

I haven't done any tests on the long-term prospects for cross-processed film, but I remember many years ago discovering that the stabiliser had been omitted from a print processor (not in the lab I currently work at;-)) for a couple of days. The discovery was made when some prints were returned six months later: they were bright green, the magenta dye had all but disappeared. Obviously they looked fine immediately after processing.

This is a different stock and a different process, so it's not the same. But you only need a small change in negative for it to appear much more dramatic on the print: so the phrase "a relatively short time" should be taken seriously. You are planning to cross-process for a particular "look": obviously you don't want that to change before you get to make your prints.

Since the lab will probably do the cross-processing as a separate run (you MUST talk to the lab before embarking on this, as most labs restrict the amount they will cross-process as it contaminates the bath for normal work), it's conceivable that they might be able to add some stabiliser to the final rinse for your process. (Depending on who you use and what their chemical capabilities are.) Obviously there would be an extra charge for this, but it might be worth comparing that cost with the cost of making a dupe neg.