My entry into Your Big Break contest - Aotearoa

Justin Demeere

Hello everybody. I have been to these forums many times but never made an account until now. I know there are great cinematographers that hang out here so I wanted to see if I could get any feedback or advice from you.

I decided to go ahead and do an entry for the Your Big Break contest in New Zealand. I wasn't sure how I was going to pull my idea off in Tennessee but I am satisfied with the results. From concept to completion it took me 2 1/2 weeks at a cost of $33. It is a teaser based off of my 2 page script on my entry link.

Hope you like.

http://www.your-big-break.com/entry/11762

There is a direct link to the full HD version there.

It was shot on my GH1, a still photography tripod, and a PL filer with ND filter with STOCK lens. 1080p, Smooth Film Mode

Contrast -2

Sharpness -1

Saturation -1

Noise Reduction -2

Now that produces a washed out image which I have been hearing it helps hold up to grading better in post. I gotta say that I was surprised how well it was holding up. I pushed this pretty far in some shots and maybe even a little too far. But I wanted it to not look like it was 20 degrees and more like an almost real early spring. I am not too sure if those Smooth Film settings are the best as of yet and this is only my second shot at using Apple Color but seems to look good to me. I have been teaching myself to read scopes and after using Color and doing my grading on full manual I won't ever look back to a quick plugin solution.

Does it sound right to you to use these settings to hold up to color grading better in post? I didn't see any troubles while color grading but wasn't sure if the method of lowering saturation in camera is really the correct way of doing things. Is there a proper method to this? Thanks!

BeforeAfter1.jpg

BeforeAfter2.jpg

BeforeAfter3.jpg

BeforeAfter4.jpg

BeforeAfter5.jpg

Kia Ora,

Perfect! Looks just like NZ, say hi to Peter Jackson for us.

Pretty good work on the Maori costumes for a super low budget.

R,

Kia Ora,

Perfect! Looks just like NZ, say hi to Peter Jackson for us.

Pretty good work on the Maori costumes for a super low budget.

R,

Thanks for your comment! I did my best to get the look of early period Maori in old photographs so glad you liked.