I have a screening in Kingston Ontario

Rick Palidwor

Shameless self-promotion I know but if anyone is in the Kingston Ontario area I have a screening this Tuesday. Below is a blurb that they put together. I don't know much about location except that it is somewhere on Queen's University campus. And the blurb is not entirely correct with it's emphasis on super-duper 8 as the screening includes stuff shot on 16mm, video, pixelvision and regular super 8. If you make it out come and say "hi".

Rick

"Taste Test: 25 Short Films in Super Duper 8"

6:30 PM, Tuesday Jan. 19, 2010

Ontario Hall Room 206

Co-sponsored by

The Cultural Studies Grad Program at Queen's and

Affinities: A Journal of Radical Theory, Culture, and Action.

Rick Palidwor is a former radio comedian (Trouser Park/CBC) who has been making films and videos since 1993. His body of work, as represented here, spans comedy, experimental, and documentary shorts. He is also co-writer/director of Sleep Always, the first feature film shot in "super-duper 8", an experimental wide-screen 8mm film format that he helped to develop, along with Mitch Perkins. Sleep Always has been screened at festivals in Canada, US, Germany, and Spain, and was awarded the Best Feature prize at the 2005 New Jersey International Film Festival.

Rick studied sociology before turning to comedy, and grew up watching Monty Python. These two influences - along with a tendency toward darkness that seems to have come from nowhere - help to make his work critical and analytic, yet simultaneously absurd and joyful. He has put together a unique collection of his work for this screening/discussion, which promises to be musically as well as a visually enticing, given his long-standing associations with many of the most interesting avant-garde musicians in Toronto, where he lives and works.