shooting 4:3 on pmw EX 1

Rick Shepardson

Okay, this is a dumb question.

I'm shooting a project that needs to be fit for a public access station that only broadcasts in 4:3. I've been given the sony pmw-ex 1 to shoot it with. Unfortunately, I have't been given the time to really test everything out.

I don't understand the 4:3 option on the sony pmw ex-1.

the native format is 16:9. I've been told you can shoot 4:3..however, is the final image actually 4:3? Or, does it produce a 16:9 frame with the sides cropped?

I know that there is the 4:3 marker for the display...but that of course only changes the frame guide on the display. I also know about the down convert option that will crop a 16:9 monitor for the 4:3 image...but this still will only effect the display.

I've also run through all the Formats (1920/1080, 1440/1080) and this of course, doesn't seem to change anything.

I apologize if this is completely moronic. Trust, me, I feel a little stupid for asking the question.

Final Cut Studio will do either center cut crop 16:9 to 4:3 or letter box it into a 4:3 frame.

You might find something helpful at: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/142/866185

Thanks Mr. Smith,

I actually did find an answer on converting 16:9 to 4:3 there. It's all become an issue of if the client wants to eventually take this to a station that broadcasts in 16:9...that and how many people own 16:9 television sets and what aspect ratio they'll have said set programmed to. Every solution leads to about a billion questions thanks there not being any absolutes anymore

Ugh...sometimes I miss the old days when all tvs were squares and only theaters had rectangles.

Okay, this is a dumb question.

I'm shooting a project that needs to be fit for a public access station that only broadcasts in 4:3. I've been given the sony pmw-ex 1 to shoot it with. Unfortunately, I have't been given the time to really test everything out.

I don't understand the 4:3 option on the sony pmw ex-1.

the native format is 16:9. I've been told you can shoot 4:3..however, is the final image actually 4:3? Or, does it produce a 16:9 frame with the sides cropped?

I know that there is the 4:3 marker for the display...but that of course only changes the frame guide on the display. I also know about the down convert option that will crop a 16:9 monitor for the 4:3 image...but this still will only effect the display.

I've also run through all the Formats (1920/1080, 1440/1080) and this of course, doesn't seem to change anything.

I apologize if this is completely moronic. Trust, me, I feel a little stupid for asking the question.

dear rick,

i don´t know about the Sony EX1 but you won´t be able to shoot 4:3 in any HD mode since HD is always 16:9 by specification. you need to shoot in SD and maybe than the Sony will give you the possibility to do this in 4:3.

if that´s not possible you may crop the VF to 4:3 and do your job and then crop it the same way in your editing software and deliver a 4:3 video to you customer.

hope that helps a bit.

greets