using RED footage for HDR

Kate Wurzbacher

I worked with the RED for my first time the other day during a test shoot for an upcoming project. We had the camera long enough to shoot additional footage of the recent snow storm.

I'm very interested in the idea of using those RAW files to generate some high dynamic range footage just for fun. I'm planning on rendering the footage three times at an ISO of 160, 320, and 640, and then combining them using a program like Photomatix.

My question is, has anyone here had success using the RED for HDR, or have any advice?

Thanks

Never used it for that purpose, but if your talking about sending the same clip through redcine 3 times at different ISO values, my question would be why bother? Changing ISO does absolutely nothing to the raw data. Your just mixing the same image with varying levels of gain. I don't think you would get any more detail out of the image than you would doing a simple curves adjustment. You would need to shoot the same image with 3 different exposures, which is different than just changing the metadata ISO value.