Ghosting problem

Eric Johns

Hello,

I have an H16 RX-1 model, and after getting a (Plus-X reversal) roll back from the lab, I noticed some ghosting. [Note: I'm sorry, but I can't post any frames because a.) My HP scanner flat-out refuses to accept anything other than 35mm still negatives and slides and b.) I'm not about to spend money on a transfer of messed-up footage.] After running the test mentioned in the forum post here (also, the ghosting in the first poster's footage is very similar to mine, only mine is much more drastic), I noticed that the claw on my camera is out of sync with the shutter.

When I try to perform the self-fix outlined in that same post, I can't "undo" the plastic gear mentioned and lift it up to spin freely. When I try to unscrew it, it just turns the gear, and I can't figure out for the life of me any other way to lift it up.

If anyone can help clarify what I'm doing wrong, please do. If I should just go ahead and take it to a repair shop, I'm prepared to do that.

Thanks in advance,

~ Eric Johns

Its been ages since I've been in that far into a Bolex and only RX4's and above ....

You've tried putting your finger nice and hard on the gear before attempting to undo the screw ?

Are you in MOT or O ? Dang, It's hard to say what's up without that model in front of me.

Hmmm, golly I hope it isn't a reverse thread !

I got the screw off (it suddenly decided to move - I must have loosened it up over several attempts), but my overall problem with doing this procedure is my unfortunate clumsiness, so I'm going to try to get someone I know to do it or send it off to a repair shop.

~ Eric Johns