Soft early morning light

Hi. Short and Quick:)

Tomorow I'll be shooting short student scene. We are shooting in bedroom.

I'd like to achive soft/smooth light coming from the window with yellow curtins(not see whats outside beside that is a early morning like 4 or 5 am) this is my plan.

2,5 Kw HMI PAR 3 meters from window with FULL frame 216 or other diff gel through 3x3 butterfly 1/2 GRID

Kino flo 120 and 60 both 4bank/5600 with 1/2 216gel or other diff maybe SILK? for fill light

and thats it. What do you think?

I'll be shooting on CANON 5D mark II nikon prime 20mm f/2.8 (with adapter) I want to keep contrast at 1:4

THX for your time!

Ted. Warsaw

Hi. Short and Quick:)

Tomorow I'll be shooting short student scene. We are shooting in bedroom.

I'd like to achive soft/smooth light coming from the window with yellow curtins(not see whats outside beside that is a early morning like 4 or 5 am) this is my plan.

2,5 Kw HMI PAR 3 meters from window with FULL frame 216 or other diff gel through 3x3 butterfly 1/2 GRID

Kino flo 120 and 60 both 4bank/5600 with 1/2 216gel or other diff maybe SILK? for fill light

and thats it. What do you think?

I'll be shooting on CANON 5D mark II nikon prime 20mm f/2.8 (with adapter) I want to keep contrast at 1:4

THX for your time!

Ted. Warsaw

I think an HMI through diffusion or muslin sounds like a good bet. Id time it a little on the cool side and use less fill to avoid it feeling like a "daytime" shot. I might not fill the entire window with diffusion though, maybe say leave a quart or so of the frame naked and let the hard hmi light creep in, for a little slash of that harder early morning light. That might sell it even further into morning territory, especially if you keep the lights angle low like it is only just peaking over the horizon.

I tried to do that here:

4117522219_a8ea74bf6e_b.jpg

But that is just a basic test shot. TYou could refine it much more to make it really sell.

I think an HMI through diffusion or muslin sounds like a good bet. Id time it a little on the cool side and use less fill to avoid it feeling like a "daytime" shot. I might not fill the entire window with diffusion though, maybe say leave a quart or so of the frame naked and let the hard hmi light creep in, for a little slash of that harder early morning light. That might sell it even further into morning territory, especially if you keep the lights angle low like it is only just peaking over the horizon.

I tried to do that here:

4117522219_a8ea74bf6e_b.jpg

But that is just a basic test shot. TYou could refine it much more to make it really sell.

Thnk for answer. It was preety helpfull specially with the image and idea about leaving part of window naked - propably i'll do this. Thanks.

I'm also going to create the soft mood by adding a little bit of smoke. And Kinos are just in case of use fill light:)

Your image seems to me a little bit too contrasty...My idea is to create 2xsofter light than you did. Not saying that I don't like the your image, just not what I was exactly thinking. :)

Thanks again.

Edited by Tadeusz Kieniewicz

Thnk for answer. It was preety helpfull specially with the image and idea about leaving part of window naked - propably i'll do this. Thanks.

I'm also going to create the soft mood by adding a little bit of smoke. And Kinos are just in case of use fill light:)

Your image seems to me a little bit too contrasty...My idea is to create 2xsofter light than you did. Not saying that I don't like the your image, just not what I was exactly thinking. :)

Thanks again.

It is quite contrasty - the direct light is hitting my face and side. Also I did a quick CC on a 1.8 gamma monitor, so it may look more contrasty on your screen, especially if your on a pc or newer mac.

If you look at the light on the blanket, it is rather soft. Its coming from a frame of muslin 6x6 filled up fully just out of frame. I think as long as you dont let the naked hmi hit your actors, but say, have it hit the back wall behind them, it will feel much lower in contrast.

here is the same setup without the hot streak on my side. You can imagine the hot streak slashing across the wall though for a little more interest.;

4117520131_fb2b67918c_b.jpg

though I am a contrast junky, to be fair, so a little more fill might not hurt.

Edited by Andrew Wilding

Id time it a little on the cool side and use less fill to avoid it feeling like a "daytime" shot.

Isn't morning light more orangish than daylight? Its supposed to be closer to tungsten than daylight is my understanding if not more orange than that. So the more cool it looks the more it will look like midday and less like morning, IMO.

If you want a softer window light you'll need a larger diffusion source than 3x3 unless you plan on using the window curtains as further diffusion.

Edited by Alexander Smith

Isn't morning light more orangish than daylight? Its supposed to be closer to tungsten than daylight is my understanding if not more orange than that. So the more cool it looks the more it will look like midday and less like morning, IMO.

Yes, I meant time it cooler than sunset, excuse me! For me, morning light feels relatively cool and crisp, as there isnt yet much atmosphere for the sun to go through. Its likely a little warmer than full day time, but not by a huge margin due to more atmosphere trapped as the day goes on. I think morning sun is very much like afternoon sun (long shadows, etc), but minus a good deal of the orange.