Car mounts

Alex Mercer

Do you mean build one from scratch or build it from pieces that you can buy separately? I took the latter route and built the car mount below piecemeal. It cost me about $400. What kind of camera are you going to be mounting? My mount is designed primarily for video cameras, but if I needed to rig a 16mm camera I would probably buy a couple more suction cups to make it a little more secure. I got the components from Filmtools and B&H, and the ratchet straps I got from Home Depot.

DSC01686.jpg

DSC01706.jpg

DSC01700.jpg

DSC01683.jpg

Mike Uva has several great books on rigging. Although these home made rigs may work great it would be worth your time to see how the big boys do it.

For the record, this isn't a home made rig. It's a modular medium weight car mount that I assembled specifically for lighter weight video cameras. It uses 6" suction cups with 1/4-20 threads and 5/8"spuds. I used three of the cups in conjunction with 6 standard grip heads and various lengths of 5/8" rods and 40" C-stand arms. The camera mounts to a 4x5 cheeseplate with both 1/4" holes and 3/8" holes. It won't support an ARRI III, but I completely trust it and my own rigging skills with my DVX100A.

I took a rigging class with Mike Uva last year and specifically talked to him about the idea I had for this mount. He advised that I used at least three anchor points and to safety the whole thing with ratchet straps. He's a great guy with an incredible list of credits and he's very inspiring to listen too. I learned a lot about rigging and safety from him.

As for sound, we used two lavs inside the car on the sun visors and ran the cables to the camera. I cut squares of cardboard and poked holes in the center for the mic capsule so they would act more like PZM's. I got this idea from another director who shot a film that takes place mostly in taxis.

If you like, I can e-mail you a parts list. But there's really no "plans." The mount breaks down into tons of separate pieces and can be configured many different ways. Even if you buy all the parts, I would recommend finding an experienced grip to help you actually rig it to the car. Or if you're in the LA area, I'd be happy to demo my rig for you.

Best of luck,

Kris

Guest aartaxx

There's always the poor man's process route. Just did it this weekend. Was shooting in Boston and it was too cold to actually shoot with the car mount so instead we parked in a garage. Frosted the windows and passed a billion lights all over the car while someone shaked it. Funny but it actually worked. This is easier if it's a night scene. Day is a tougher sell. Check out the night car scenes in Waking the Dead. It's a good example and I used it as a source reference. Tom Richmond did a great job.