Int. Kitchen + Living room. Day

The pictures were taken on a cloudy day though the weather states that it will be "sunny" on the day of the shoot.

Do you have any tips on how to light this scene.

We are shooting with the 7D.

post-38341-1267541878.jpg

The opposite side of this is a large window that reaches from the floor to the ceiling.

post-38341-1267542052.jpg

Edited by Enrique Caldera

• Premium Member

It looks like there's enough to expose with already there. Are you concerned about the windows blowing out? If so, gel the windows and/or add light to the interior.

EDIT: or frame the shots without the windows.

It looks like there's enough to expose with already there. Are you concerned about the windows blowing out? If so, gel the windows and/or add light to the interior.

EDIT: or frame the shots without the windows.

That might work, but how long is the scene? If it's just a few shots you could get away with very little, but if it's a long scene, you need to keep it the same looking throughout the day. What kind of equipment do you have access to? HMI's? or just tungsten lamps? Do you want it to be nice and soft? Or do you want it to be hard?

It's difficult to tell you how to light it without knowing these things...just because you could do it so many different ways.

That might work, but how long is the scene? If it's just a few shots you could get away with very little, but if it's a long scene, you need to keep it the same looking throughout the day. What kind of equipment do you have access to? HMI's? or just tungsten lamps? Do you want it to be nice and soft? Or do you want it to be hard?

It's difficult to tell you how to light it without knowing these things...just because you could do it so many different ways.

Equipment: 1K Tungsten, 4- 650's, two lowell light kit (3-500's 2-750's), 2-4 bank Kino flow, Chinese lanterns, Fog machine, Diffusion paper, 1/2 and full CTB.

Soft, but I am open to suggestions. What I want to avoid is the orange inside house look.

Here is the view of the entrance. As you can see there is a door that will be opened.

post-38341-1267573182.jpg

Equipment: 1K Tungsten, 4- 650's, two lowell light kit (3-500's 2-750's), 2-4 bank Kino flow, Chinese lanterns, Fog machine, Diffusion paper, 1/2 and full CTB.

Soft, but I am open to suggestions. What I want to avoid is the orange inside house look.

Here is the view of the entrance. As you can see there is a door that will be opened.

post-38341-1267573182.jpg

any ND?

The door will be blown out regardless, unless you can expose to like f16 indoors, and with that light kit, my guess is you might be at 5.6 or something. I would just take the 1k and use that as key, maybe get a 2x3 open frame and diffuse with that. I know you can just attach the diff to the barndoors, but that gives you less control. I would take the 650s and use them as fill and backlight, again with some diff on the fill. Then go and use your kino and lanterns as ambient/background fill. to remove that "orange" look, you will need to choose a source to white balance to. You say you have CTB, so use that on all your tungsten sources and balance the camera for daylight. Make sure you get daylight tubes for the kino (They have blue rings on the edges) then everything will be one uniform white. If you don't have the CTB the other option would be to balance the windows with some CTO. That would be problematic when you open the door.

That's one way. Theres probably 10+ other solutions.

If you are going for fast & easy, kill all the practicals, (cuz they might throw off your white balance) and open up all the barn doors, shoot everything at the ceiling.