Getting started as a freelancer.

• Premium Member

As a DP? Or something else?

You have to shoot stuff for free until you can build a great looking reel, then use that as a calling card to start getting paid jobs. It takes a while. In the meantime, get a job on the side and start making some money so you can pay your rent, etc. Something in the film business like PA work, working at a rental house, interning at a production company, will help you make connections along the way.

Good luck.

• 4 weeks later...
I don't have any equipment. I'm broke. I have next to zero professional experience. How do I get my name out there and start freelancing?

Basically, you need to work for free shooting shorts. Once you have shoot enough to build up a nice looking reel and a good reputation in your area you will find your self getting paid work.

I graduated in 2008, it took me about a year and half to start getting paid work after school. I shoot a lot of shorts for free and networked and tried to get involved in the film/video community in my area as much as possible. This lead to me shooting more projects and meeting more people.

There were times when I felt kind of depressed as I wasn't getting work I thought I would. I still "moonlight" at a convenience store to make ends meet but I'm getting more and more paid work so that may change by the end of the year. In fact I just finished shooting my first commercial that will be nationally broadcast and have already been hired to shoot more spots for the company.

Your hard work and sacrifice will pay off but it just takes time. If someone is going to pay you money to shoot something for them they need to be absolutely confident in your ability to make a professional looking product.