filming into the sun

danny young

Hi. I'm going to be filming a story beginning next month and I'll be using a cameflex. For certain scenes, the director would like to see the performers in silhouette and semi-silhouette, and often backed by the sun. This may involve low camera placements into a high angled sun, eye-level placements with a low-lying sun, and even some handheld work with, again, the sun. There may as well be some static landscapes in which the sun will be visible. I'm not concerned about issues of lens flare or exposure; I would just like to get through this without destroying my eyes.:blink: I'll be using primes, mostly in the 25mm to 35mm range. It's unlikely I'd be using anything greater than a 50mm, but there is a remote chance that I might. I say this because I am somewhat under the impression that as the magnification of the sun decreases, so too does the danger that it can pose. I would appreciate learning what basic steps one should take when the sun can enter the frame, and under what specific conditions one must be particularly cautious. Thanks. B)