lighting movie theater day interior

I'm shooting a movie in a couple weeks on the HVX-200. The biggest scene takes place during the day inside a small movie theater. It has 12 foot high ceilings and 4 doors in a row leading outside. There are no other windows or doors.

The scene takes place during the afternoon, so the lighting will be warmer.

The first shot is a stedicam tracking of a concession girl from outside, through the doors and into the theater, which leads us to the main characters talking next to the concession stand.

With the doors needing to be in the shot, how can I fill in the area with more light? Some light will obviously come from the doors, but I will need fill.

My best guess is to put a 6x6 bounce rigged near the ceiling and kick 1 or 2 open faces into it. The ceiling won't be seen in this location.

hi its very simple use a torch light with 5 battery on a white bounce board since you are shooting on digital it wil manage the situtation hold it near the camera where ever you move.normally here in theaters there will be a person who will help the public with the help of a torch .

• Premium Member

Sorry Burton, I'm confused. Are you shooting only in the theater lobby or inside the actual theater space? If the former, are you augmenting real daylight or creating it all from scratch?

If you are fighting natural daylight, then I think you will have to use a few HMI's to balance out the daylight if you don't want to outside to go white. Especially with the HVX, which doesn't have much dynamic range to start with. I would suggest a slight iris pull with a different camera, but that would be impossible with the HVX on a steadicam as there is no wireless control over the iris. Ceiling bounce is probably a good start. You can also rig kinos over the doors to extend the daylight inside. Location stills would help us give you further advice.