"Beach ball" camera support system

Alexander Disenhof

Hi everyone, I am prepping for an upcoming show and the director wants a handheld feel while still using a dolly (and not using a stedicam mounted on the dolly). I have seen the beachball/volleyball support system on some shoots, and it seems like a good alternative to achieve this look. The problem is, I don't remember what the system is called, and I have been looking for it online to no avail.

Does someone know the name of this beach ball support system? Its basically a beach ball or volleyball that's strapped on top of a tripod, and you put the camera on top of the ball to give it a handheld/floating feel.

As for achieving this look, does anyone have any other options, besides just holding the camera while riding on a dolly?

I wasn't sure if I should post this in the Camera assistant section, but I figured it IS a camera support, so grips must know something :)

Thanks,

Alex

The only professional camera support system I know of which seems to fit your description is the airfloater by Belgian grip rental/manufacturer CQN (website: www.airfloater.com).

I once tried it on an expo and it seems to work very well for that purpose. Especially when workin on longer lenses, it can give you a bit more control on the frame while still maintaining that handheld feel.

Not sure if it's already available in your location.

On the other hand, why not just let the operator sit on the dolly and actually handheld the camera (supposing you won't use extraordinary long lenses and the camera isn't too heavy)?

Frank

I did a bunch of handheld work on a dolly for a recent short. Myself and my AC were strapped to a doorway dolly (and by strapped, i mean literally were held to the front and back with tie-down straps) so we wouldn't lose balance on quick starts and stops. Keep in mind we were shooting on zero-budget so it was the "do whatever works if its' cheap" approach.

So yeah, I was handheld with the camera while standing on a doorway dolly. I really like the way it looks, alot smoother than trying to run backwards with a camera but not as smooth as a steadicam which is what I was going for.

Why not put the pan and tilt gears into neutral or set the counterbalance of a fluid head to zero and then hand support the rods? Then you could put gaff tape or other imperfections on the track to make the dolly jerk around a little more if you wanted.