Lighting up a hospital.

Hey Guys,

I am shooting my Diploma film soon and the location is a hospital- the corridor and a room. I did go through the various corridor, hallway light up topics and some related to hospitals. But still had a few questions.

The look I would like is something similar to Goodnight Bill- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBWeETwc94. In short the story is like there's this old guy and old lady in the same ward, the lady's been a widow for all these years and towards the end of the film the guy and the lady get attracted to each other and she wanna stay with him inspite of being cleared to go home! So she fakes a heart attack and prolongs her stay in the hospital. So that's the basic theme.

Now, the location is a real hospital and we are working on almost no budget. The lights I have are a few kinos- 10 bank and 4 bank, a couple of tungsten lights- 5k, 2k and 1ks, and three 2.5k HMIs and am working with the Kodak 200T 5217 and Kodak 500t 5219. The corridors that I am using is like 30ft X 10ft and has about eight fluorescent tubes up on the ceiling. Initially I thought of replacing these fluorescent tubes with kinos tubes, for the night scene, but that seems to be not working now due to various reasons. So thought of letting these tubes on, and have that slight green tinge. And then probably create some white lights coming from adjacent rooms.

Now, for night scenes, I have the green tinge from the tubes. If I add a moonlight, HMIs with 1/4 CTO, will that look good. Blue and green together? Alternatively if I add a street light source- a tungsten with say 1/4 CTO, will this look good. Green and Orange? Not sure how to go about this different colour temperatures in the same frame. And once I move into the room from the corridor, I probably won't be having much of a green. I basically would be having just two ordinary tubes on there. So less of a green and more of white light and a few warm practicals. So will this change in color temperature and look be fine or will it be too big jump.

And do the ordinary fluorescent give away flicker while shooting at 24fps. I am shooting in India, so its 50Htz here. Also if shooting high speed say like 48fps and 72 fps, I know ordinary fluorescent tubes will have flicker but then since these aren't the main lights and even the ambiance would be through some other light, will it really cause a flicker noticeable on screen?

Thanks,

Arun Gopalan

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Guys,

I am shooting my Diploma film soon and the location is a hospital- the corridor and a room. I did go through the various corridor, hallway light up topics and some related to hospitals. But still had a few questions.

The look I would like is something similar to Goodnight Bill- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLBWeETwc94. In short the story is like there's this old guy and old lady in the same ward, the lady's been a widow for all these years and towards the end of the film the guy and the lady get attracted to each other and she wanna stay with him inspite of being cleared to go home! So she fakes a heart attack and prolongs her stay in the hospital. So that's the basic theme.

Now, the location is a real hospital and we are working on almost no budget. The lights I have are a few kinos- 10 bank and 4 bank, a couple of tungsten lights- 5k, 2k and 1ks, and three 2.5k HMIs and am working with the Kodak 200T 5217 and Kodak 500t 5219. The corridors that I am using is like 30ft X 10ft and has about eight fluorescent tubes up on the ceiling. Initially I thought of replacing these fluorescent tubes with kinos tubes, for the night scene, but that seems to be not working now due to various reasons. So thought of letting these tubes on, and have that slight green tinge. And then probably create some white lights coming from adjacent rooms.

Now, for night scenes, I have the green tinge from the tubes. If I add a moonlight, HMIs with 1/4 CTO, will that look good. Blue and green together? Alternatively if I add a street light source- a tungsten with say 1/4 CTO, will this look good. Green and Orange? Not sure how to go about this different colour temperatures in the same frame. And once I move into the room from the corridor, I probably won't be having much of a green. I basically would be having just two ordinary tubes on there. So less of a green and more of white light and a few warm practicals. So will this change in color temperature and look be fine or will it be too big jump.

And do the ordinary fluorescent give away flicker while shooting at 24fps. I am shooting in India, so its 50Htz here. Also if shooting high speed say like 48fps and 72 fps, I know ordinary fluorescent tubes will have flicker but then since these aren't the main lights and even the ambiance would be through some other light, will it really cause a flicker noticeable on screen?

Thanks,

Arun Gopalan

hi arun,

use more fluorescent light fixtures

instead of using tungsten lights so lighting seems to more authentic for the hospital location.Use electronic choke for tube lights so there wont be flicker problem. Use FL-13 filter in camera for cutting down green tint comes from tube lights.Use kinflows for frontal fill and rest you can add moon light according to location setup.My advice to go with 5219[500T]

• 1 month later...

hi arun,

use more fluorescent light fixtures

instead of using tungsten lights so lighting seems to more authentic for the hospital location.Use electronic choke for tube lights so there wont be flicker problem. Use FL-13 filter in camera for cutting down green tint comes from tube lights.Use kinflows for frontal fill and rest you can add moon light according to location setup.My advice to go with 5219[500T]

Hey Nivash,

Thanks for the reply. I did go with primarily 3 kinos, a 5kv and a couple of other tungsten lights(with CTBs) and the image has come out very nicely. Got what I was looking for. I did use the 5217 and 5219 stocks. :)