Stylistic lens "flares"

Liam Howlett

I want to know how this is achieved, I have my own theory on this, but with Fringe I think it's done in post production.

However, take a look at these videos below to see what I'm talking about. Chris Cunningham really digs this look as he has used it in a few videos.

For example;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Zq1I5_WAA

3:05 mark, 3:12, 3:34 etc etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZWv5nHBUcM

starting at 0:33 sec mark

starting at 2:21, 3:53

how is this achieved?

• Premium Member
Has nobody got an answer? :blink:

The videos you linked to look like three different things to me.

The first video looks like long lenses with bits of clear material in front of the lens: prisms, maybe bits of broken glass, etc.

I think the second is just shooting right into the sun with a lot of particulate floating in the air with those dandelion seeds.

The third one I'm not sure. The first instance you point out looks like just natural flare. The second looks like it might be a bit of water on the lens.

You can get a lot of great looking things like this if you collect some bits of broken glass, some bottles (both glass and plastic), and even some mirrors and experiment with placing those very close to a fairly long lens so that they're very out of focus.

how is this achieved?

Flare is quite simple to achieve - you point the lens towards a bright light (or point a bright light towards the lens) and, generally speaking, you will get a lens flare.

It can frequently be much harder to get rid of.

The characteristics of the flare can vary as a result of a variety of elements, predominantly your choice of lens, filtration, and light source.

Experiment to find the combination you like.

The videos you linked to look like three different things to me.

The first video looks like long lenses with bits of clear material in front of the lens: prisms, maybe bits of broken glass, etc.

I think the second is just shooting right into the sun with a lot of particulate floating in the air with those dandelion seeds.

The third one I'm not sure. The first instance you point out looks like just natural flare. The second looks like it might be a bit of water on the lens.

You can get a lot of great looking things like this if you collect some bits of broken glass, some bottles (both glass and plastic), and even some mirrors and experiment with placing those very close to a fairly long lens so that they're very out of focus.

Well, the second video is definitely a different "flare". But first and third videos I have seen this effect quite a handful of times, especially in music videos from the Warp Label.

for instance, here is a third example to go with video 1, and 3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQXG3xC0c7c starting at 3:00 mark, inside the car. And almost as if a SHOWCASE in itself, @ 7:09 mark to 7:18

Going back to the first video. LFO - Freak, what I'm dying to know is the flare at 4:15 mark. It just seems to go in and out of frame throughout the video, 4:36 as well. Sprinkled water on a long lense? what is it?

and how are they doing it in the third example vid *Aphex Twin - Windowlicker. in the given timeframes. What you said there about broken glass etc, and placing it close to a long lens, is that what is being done in LFO - Freak? How about Windowlicker? seems like something is being projected towards the lens somehow. Or done in post? unlikely though