Workflow for creating 3d movie file from 2 cameras?

Evan Ferrario

I have read a lot the last few months about 3d cameras and the creative ways people are implementing 2 cameras to capture moving 3d pictures. What I haven't been able to find, is the process for combining the two images to make a 3d movie file. I know there is an H.264 codec which can be 3d as it is the new Blu-Ray 3d format. Would there be a simple plugin for final cut or avid which would make the conversion to 3d for viewing. Is this something i could do in after effects? I understand there are all different kind of 3d, however, it seems with Blu-ray accepting a format, the televisions will follow this standard as well. It seems there should be a relatively simple way to combine 2 video files into a 3d image? Even if it isn't simple, I'd like to know more about the process.

• Premium Member

I have read a lot the last few months about 3d cameras and the creative ways people are implementing 2 cameras to capture moving 3d pictures. What I haven't been able to find, is the process for combining the two images to make a 3d movie file. I know there is an H.264 codec which can be 3d as it is the new Blu-Ray 3d format. Would there be a simple plugin for final cut or avid which would make the conversion to 3d for viewing. Is this something i could do in after effects? I understand there are all different kind of 3d, however, it seems with Blu-ray accepting a format, the televisions will follow this standard as well. It seems there should be a relatively simple way to combine 2 video files into a 3d image? Even if it isn't simple, I'd like to know more about the process.

Not simple, there is a plugin for fcp, but you cannot make two stream 3d (which is required for BRdvd) you can do side by side etc though. it is okay for hobbyish kind of way and is only a few hundred quid if i rememeber. I currently use neo3d which is okay for offline work and can do 2 stream, but is data hungry and is strictly cuts only with limited scope for adjustments. i therefor online on smoke. i'll be doing an in depth article soon. will let everyone know when it's ready.