RED M-X Post Workflow

Tom Banks

I am gearing up for my first M-X feature that will be shooting for 6 weeks in Tokyo, Japan. I am getting the entire camera package from Indie Rentals here in LA and having it shipped out to Japan (which is a whole nother nightmare)

I've been combing through the forums here and on Reduser doing my best to understand the variety of workflows possible with this camera. I am still a bit in the dark as to the pros/cons of using Clipfinder vs. RedcineX vs. FCP Log and Transfer to make offline files. The project will be edited in FCP 3, and I am adamant about coloring the RAW files in Apple Color.

Does anyone have a tested workflow they could explain point by point along with the advantages?

In previous instances, I have rendered the offlines in FCP Log & Transfer, then relinked the EDL to the .R3D files in Color once the cut was picture locked. But I want to make sure I get the best resolution, color space, etc... I have red some of Jim's posts about the advantages of White Balancing before coloring to recoup information possibly lost, but from what I also understand this can be done in Color? Its little tips like this I want to make sure I'm clear on so I can have the best workflow possible.

I plan on shooting some M-X footage at Indie Rentals tomorrow and bringing in the footage, editing a few clips, and seeing if I can get it to relink ok in Color. But any advice would be greatly appreciated. I know there are several other threads about this, but I have most likely read them and I'm still not sure the best way to handle it.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Banks